"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

11.11.2007

We are total dorks

We're sitting here like brain-dead zombies watching Ninja Warrior. They redesigned the course and it's all very exciting!!! I blame my son for getting us hooked on this inanity. I don't know what it is about this show - maybe the camp factor. Or maybe we're just tacky and have bad taste...I dunno.

What else is going on? My husband bought a jar of Planter's Peanuts. On the back of the jar there's the list of ingredients - "Peanuts, salt, etc..." and then there's a disclaimer that reads - "CONTAINS: PEANUTS" Ummm...yeah...we were kind of WANTING that. The word "peanut" is on the PEANUT-SHAPED jar in at least eight other spots. So...WE GET IT.

Knee news: I had to take a Vicodin last night. I was really disappointed. I haven't taken one of those in over a week. I'm not a big fan of narcotics (and I rarely drink) - waaaaaay too much of a control freak to enjoy being buzzed/drunk. (Ok ok....for those of you that *REALLY* know me....that should read, "to enjoy it ANYMORE.") Anyway - the pain in my knee has changed from a sharp, stabbing surprising thing to a dull ache. It's as if my knee is just quietly sobbing. No big outbursts, no tantrums, no screaming....just a consistent, heart-wrenching sobbing. Well it was keeping me awake so I finally caved and took a pill. I hate this.

My orthopedic surgeon approved me for a handicapped parking sticker. On the form he had to fill out, he had to estimate a date of full recovery. He put 4/1/08!!!! OMG!!! Are you kidding me??? How depressing. Maybe he was just trying to go as far out as possible - I hope. Sheesh. I wouldn't have asked for the parking sticker if we didn't have winter coming up. The nice weather has not been that much of a problem, but I didn't want to be dancing around icy/slushy/snowy parking lots on crutches. I'd probably just wind up tearing up my other ACL. Did I mention that I hate this?

I know someone who has a rotator cuff injury that also needs surgery. We were arguing about who's injury was worse. I think I have to concede to the rotator cuff. I'm not all that active a person - sitting around reading, watching TV/movies, surfing/blogging is what I'd be doing anyway! But not having use of an arm would be really bad. Now, if I wind up on crutches for 6 weeks, then I think I get the title back - you can't use EITHER or your arms when you're on crutches. We'll see how it goes.

I hate to end this post on a downer. Dylan went up to help his grandparents with some outside work. He's such a great kid. I asked him if he could take time out of his long weekend to help them out and he was MORE than happy to do it. It's also nice that he can drive up there on his own and just handle it. I'm sure we all know a lot of teenagers who would have refused or whined all the way through it - but none of that from D. He's so great. I cannot believe how incredibly lucky I am to just have a nice kid. So many teenagers are so completely unpleasant to be around - just surly and ugly. But Dylan is usually happy and cheerful. (His little brother is an entirely different story - that kid is like a mood hurricane.)

Well I've raved on for quite a bit here - and my favorite NW competitor is about to go!!! Yay!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. Sorry it sucks. Maybe eat some more peanuts to cheer up. With chocolate. Yum!