"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

11.06.2007

Claustrophobia

I never thought this was a problem for me. I do have to admit that the MRI machine kind of freaked me out yesterday - and I went in feet-first. I cannot imagine going into one of these things head-first. Note to self - request sedative before any head-first MRI. Also I had no idea the machine would be so loud. Think - klaxon. I felt like all of a sudden a military-sounding voice was going to start screaming, "Dive! Dive!" Weird. And OF COURSE the guy operating the machine couldn't tell me anything. That just frosts my cookies. I'm sure there are all sorts of ethical and legal reasons why a radiology tech can't tell you anything....but come on. These people have probably seen more of these images than any doctor. They have SOME idea of what's going on. I'm such an impatient person and it's just wildly frustrating knowing that some dude here in town KNOWS whether my ACL/MCL/meniscus are all torn up and I don't. GRRRRRR.

4 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

They are notoriously tight-lipped, those radiologists. Hope you are okey-dokey and don't need any more MRI, headfirst or otherwise.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Like the new look, Tasina! And you are doing NaBloPoMo, too - cool!

I've heard that the MRI thing is really scary even for people that aren't terribly claustrophobic. I have never had one. I do hope that you will get decent news. Klutz ;)

Tasina said...

Klutz?!?!?! I was tackling a mugger. Up a tree. With a kitten. Or something better sounding like that. Sheesh. Rude. ;)