"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

11.24.2007

Boo Blogger

Is anyone else having trouble embedding videos today? I just did the one below with no problems. I wanted to put a new one up. I'll just give you the link here. I thought this was pretty cute.

I know we're all stuffed but I'm going to put up another recipe. We had this for dinner tonight as a break from all that turkey. Served with a cold pasta salad (from a box) and fresh broccoli.
I found this recipe at AllRecipes.com.

Salmon Rosemary Burgers

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 pounds king salmon fillet, skinned and de-boned
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup minced red onion
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

DIRECTIONS
Prepare the salmon by cutting into strips, cutting the strips crosswise, and chopping the fish until well minced. Be sure to remove any remaining bones.
In a large bowl, mix the minced salmon with bread crumbs, red onion, Dijon mustard, horseradish, and eggs. Season with rosemary, salt, and pepper. Chill at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
Form the salmon mixture into 8 burger patties. Lightly coat each patty with olive oil.
Place salmon patties on the grill, and cook 4 or 5 minutes on each side.

We make a 1/2 recipe and adjust the ingredients accordingly. I usually use shallots instead of red onion - mostly because I don't ever use red onion for anything else and I always have shallots on hand because I love them. If it occurs to me to get fresh rosemary then we use it, but dried works fine in this too. Don't be scared by the horseradish. I'm no fan of that stuff either - but you do not get a big huge horseradish taste, it's very subtle (but necessary). Also, we always make these in a pan on the stovetop with a little olive oil. I was too nervous that they'd fall apart on the outside grill and get all smashed on the George Foreman grill. The taste great out of the pan - brown up nicely too. Jeff eats his on a bun with lettuce and tomato. I don't like all that bread so I just eat mine with a couple drops of soy sauce.

By the way, the Sweet Potato Casserole recipe I posted a few days ago was a big hit. My parents really preferred it to the gooey sweet marshmallow yam thing.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I used the leftover mashed potatoes to make a shepherd's pie...except I wildly mis-estimated the amount of food, and now we have traded the casserole with potatoes for another half full of shepherd's pie.

I am not cooking until at least three of the containers of leftovers in the fridge are gone.

Julie said...

Oh, and the Salmon Rosemary burgers sound really good.

Tasina said...

I wasn't going to cook anything either, but we all really wanted something different. The salmon burgers are really yummy. We found this recipe last summer and have had it a dozen times at least.