Remember like 10 years ago everyone was talking about how the "emotional quotient" was just as important as I.Q.? My E.Q. is nil. I know that sounds like an exaggeration, but my mom can back me up on this. We watched this 20/20 or Dateline thing about E.Q. and they said a simple test you can do to your own child (5 is the optimal age) is this: 1) offer them a piece of candy 2) tell them that they can have that one piece right now or if they can wait 5 minutes they can have an additional piece 3) leave the child alone for the 5 minutes - if he eats the candy, bad E.Q. - if he doesn't, good E.Q. Anyway - at the time this was a big news thing, Dylan was 5 years old. My mom and I watched this 20/20 thing and by the time it was over, Dylan was already asleep. I actually wanted to WAKE HIM UP to do this test because *** I *** couldn't wait over night. Too funny.
This ridiculous preamble has a point. I had to have a pre-op physical today. It appears that I am healthy enough to cut open. Good to know. But the doctor made me do a chest X-ray and I was really offended. He said that I don't get to erase 20 years of smoking with (almost) 4 months of quitting. Well fine. Jeez. Did it have to be put so bluntly?? I KNOW I haven't erased all that damage, but the way he put it just made me kind of....I don't know....frustrated. I wanted to light a cigarette purely out of spite at that point. And I actually normally like my doctor. Grrr.
Also I was told "good luck" when I said that I wanted to be back at work on Monday. Not that I'm some workaholic nut - but I like my job and the people I work with, I don't have a lot of leave left, and anything I can't get done either piles up on my desk (yuck) or becomes someone else's problem (not fair). I WANT to go back Monday. I want this leg thing to be over....YESTERDAY.
I'm tantrum-ing again. I'll stop. I was talking to a friend who also has an injury and we decided that we're just being big babies. There are people who live with permanent disabilities every single day. At least there IS an end to this for me. I really shouldn't complain. Must be a brown thing. ;)
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
11.26.2007
No E.Q.
at
5:59 PM
Labels: Just Me Ranting, Knee, Quit Smoking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I don't want to be maimed or anything, but I'd love some time off work. Four days was just enough to make me angry.
When is the cutting?
Wow, OK, now I'm "ma" because I can't type.
Dang you got me all excited about a new reader too.
The cutting is Wednesday. I can't decide which sounds better - "harvesting from the hamstring" or "attaching with bone screws" - it's a close call.
:D
ugh. I really didn't listen to the details about cutting and breaking and pinning and stuff when the vet was explaining -- with great relish, because he thinks these surgeries are great fun -- all about what he was going to do with Abe's knee (Abe is my dog, tasina...I don't take my kids to the vet or cage them. Mostly...)
Orthopedic stuff is the stuff that makes go oogily in the knees.
Ooh, twice in one comment thread, somebody fools you with thinking you have a new reader...I didn't realize my son Thor had signed me out and himself in to gmail, until just a split second after I hit the "publish your comment" button...
So sorry!
Julie - cruel!!! You - not the vet.
I completely tuned out my surgeon when he mentioned harvesting from a CADAVER. No. No cadaver harvesting. I object - strenuously!!
honey bunny, I will think of you tomorrow - but knowing the way you are, you'll get through that without a hitch! you'd even wink at the doctors on the way out of the surgery, if you could.
lols at your EQ. you are hilarious.
Post a Comment