"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

11.15.2007

I can't wait for Turkey day!

I am not a fan of sweet potatoes. I think they taste like....well....like yucky. But my husband seems to like them, so every big holiday I make that revolting sweet potato/marshmallow thing. That thing just looks so gross and it cannot be good for you. I found this new recipe from the Food Network that seems slightly less offensive and I thought I'd give it whirl. Hubby said he'd be willing to try it out. If any readers have had anything like this, let me know. I'll post my famous wild rice casserole recipe tomorrow.

Sweet Potato Casserole

2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 3 large), scrubbed
2 large eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
3 tbs unsalted butter, melted plus more for preparing the pan
2 tbs packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (I'm subbing dried here)
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and pierce each one 2 or 3 times with a fork. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.

Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F. Scoop the sweet potato out of their skins and into a medium bowl. Discard the skins. mash the potatoes until smooth. Ad the eggs, butter, brown sugar, salt cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pepper to taste. Whisk the mixture until smooth.

Butter an 8x8 inch casserole. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the pan and sprinkle the top with the pecans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a bit puffy. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss having sweet potatoes, but Tom is not a fan, so I usually don't bother. That sounds delicious to me, but definitely very sweet potato-ish. Mmm, the food holidays are afoot!

Tasina said...

I really cannot stand sweet potatoes. Which is too bad because they're supposed to be ok for you if you must have a carb. But...no...yucky...Tom is right, you and Jeff are way wrong.

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

Hi! I just posted a recipe similar to this. Everyone in our family loves it. I've had to start doubling the recipe. Prior to the version I make now, everyone except my dad shunned the sweet potatoes.