It's been a bad 24 hours. I really want a cigarette. Almost went and bought a pack earlier this evening. I miss it. I know, I know - I don't miss the cost, health probelms, blah blah blah. Whatever. I just miss it. I just want to sit and relax and unwind and smoke. I sometimes wish I never started this quit.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
8.13.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Hang in there, Tasina. For whatever reason, somewhere around Day 5 or 6 lots of us ran into a tougher patch. I'm sure I've said this somewhere already about my theory of being so geared up helping us get through the first days, then waning as the novelty wears off. Kind of like a kid on the first day of school wanting to do well, pencils organized. Then it just becomes day to day. No clue if that's really the psychology behind it, but that's how it felt for me. Not that my theory matters anyway because you feel how you feel.
Once you get through this patch, you'll be standing stronger on the other side. Go do anything to distract yourself. Mini golf? Braiding your cat's hair? Whatever. And breathe. Have some water. Brush your teeth. Take a bubble bath.
Just hang in there. This weekend I missed smoking, too. It's what we did when we were smokers, and we didn't hate it or we'd have quit easily and a long time ago. That's what makes it even more incredible that you are totally doing this thing. Even if it is hard. Difficult is OK because it's no match for the amount of strength that Tasina has to throw at it and fight back until it's not so damn difficult for awhile.
It gets better. Hang in there. Keep going. I know that you can do this. You do, too.
Me again. You husband's art is cool, especially the paintings. His bio is just awesome! I still don't get why South Dakota...?
a) I want the link, too!!! (rolling eyes) Have I been like left out?
b) Listen to Maggie, she's good! It did seem there was rough road around day 5-6 for many. Fight it, honey, it's gonna get better. You'll have those wonderful moments translating into hours eventually when you are going to experience something you have not experienced....that ultimate drugged up feeling of joy and happiness from the wonderful nonsmoking life...
Will you just finally accept that you're not going to smoke again? It's easier once you figure that out.
Wow, I'm so excited for you. I remember how difficult it was for you to finally realize you do not need cigarettes anymore.
Stan, silly, the link is on the left where it says Hubby's Art ;)
Hang in there, Tasina -- you've been doing *so* well so far. I totally understand and just blogged tonight about my usual trip-up ("I'm a grown-up, it's legal, and I can, too, smoke!"). Just keep breathing and drinking that water -- or try something new, rent a movie and poke fun at everyone who smokes. Blow off steam instead of smoke!
I know you can do it. I have confidence in you.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I didn't smoke. I still kind of resent the whole thing. I'll just ditto what Bay said on her blog. I find myself reaching for them - especially this morning.
Maggie - SD because I'm from here. We wanted to leave St. Louis and I wanted to be near my family.
Ren - I guess Maggie pointed out the link.
Bay - I'll come with you to the Bahamas!!!
Maggie's Mind asked: "I still don't get why South Dakota...?" If Maggie really saw South Dakota her heart might answer the question with: 1)wide-open spaces (I hate forests, mountains, and tall buildings that block the view and give one a closed-in feeling. I hate deserts and oceans, too. I'm a prarie kid - the wind playing in the grass - the time of long shadows - sunrises and sunsets - gently rolling hills leading to a far horizon.);
2)clean air and water;
3)little crime;
4)no traffic;
5)few people, but the very best ones.
Trade this in for a Starbucks? Not on your tin-type, Maggie!
Sioux Lady
The above was brought to you by the South Dakota Department of Tourism and Economic Development.
"The above was brought to you by the South Dakota Department of Tourism and Economic Development, was brought to you by one of the second best people.
Hey, I wasn't knocking SD, I was just asking why :) I've been there at least twice and loved it from what I can remember even if I was in elementary school, and all of my formative years were spent in a flat place. I do love my mountains and ocean where I am, but this will never be my real home. You all do your thing, though, because I might have to come visit again if Tasina will make me some coffee when I get there.
Post a Comment