"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

8.20.2007

Chantix Day 28, Smoke Free Day 12

Had a good day today. I had no cravings at all during the day and just a little tug on the drive home (which was always prime smokin' time).

Some have noticed my quit meter over to the left. I was going to wait until 2 weeks to put one up, but then decided to just go ahead with it. I think my attitude about this has been so much better and I kind of wanted to make it really real. I also think it will help for my big scary test this weekend (just got off the phone with my mom - not only a big scary test at her house, but a further big scary test at a bridal shower with a whole bunch of smokers - yikes). Personally, I find it embarrassing and obscene that I would have smoked 258 cigarettes by now if I hadn't quit. That's just horrible. And the $60?? That's my cable bill for the month. Sad. I'm really glad I'm doing this now.

I also want to offer a big virtual hug to Bay. Today is her quit day and she's doing really well. Way to go!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Tasina! I knew that the meter could only mean good things. You sound like you are really rockin' this thing now, and I think it's just cool as hell. You go and keep on going!

Tasina said...

Pretty good so far. I am nervous about this weekend though.

Anonymous said...

Pack your Chantix, get geared up, bring some of that bizarre flavored gum you mentioned, bring the Chantix Emergency Quit Line phone number thing just in case, then be sure again that you really did pack your Chantix, and I bet it will turn out that you would have been just fine even if you hadn't done any of the above ;)

Besides, now you've got some days really stringing together, so there's no way you want to go backwards after making it this far. You'll do fine, even if it makes sense that it's a scary thing, says me, the chicken who hasn't been smoky places since quitting (though previous quits I did and was also fine unless I was drinking and had Maggie issues, which you won't have).

Tasina said...

It's just that I have the willpower of a ... let's think of a colorful metaphor... how about... a drunken frat boy in a room made of boobs? Too graphic?

MsTekLady said...

Tasina,

You have reason to be nervous if this is your first time being around smokers since you quit...having said that, U CAN DO IT!! Just stay strong! Excuse yourself, walk away, do whatever you need to do if you start feeling the urge! Like Maggie said, be sure to pack the Chantix support number and when,or if, you can get to a computer, log on and blog. Saturday is my quit day, so I'll probably be glued to my computer and my blogs all weekend long! I wish you well! Just know, you CAN DO THIS!!!

Tasina said...

Ms - thanks for the encouragement...I think it's going to be really hard, but I have to do this sooner or later...I can't live like a hermit!

Anonymous said...

A room made of boobs. Awesome. Scary. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for, and you'll make it!

Bay in TN said...

OMG -- ROFLMBO! I am now going to spend time trying to think of just one metaphor half as colorful as "drunk frat boy in a roomful of boobs"!!!

Tasina, you're doing marvelously. I know what you mean about worrying about the big wedding around a bunch of smokers. ALL my best friends smoked. (I had to put that past tense, since Amy quit.) I am really going to miss smoking with the girls, and I wonder if I'm going to feel like a ... fifth wheel if I'm always indoors with the non-smokers.

That said, if you have a real crisis, you can always just try to imagine what would happen if we bloggers helicoptered in and dropped a bunch of drunk frat boys on the wedding. I mean, weddings are almost always *totally* full of boobs.

And we would do that -- figuratively speaking, of course -- *we* would *do that for you*. Drop a bunch of drunk frat boys just to help you keep distracted. That's because darn it, we care.

Go, Tasina!!!! (P.S. -- I wanna see pictures when you get back, so be sure to charge up those camera batteries!)

exsmoker mom said...

Tasina -
I just popped in to see how you've been doing. We're at 2 weeks on Wednesday! Can you believe it?!?

I also wanted to mention that I've taken two quick vacations since we quit and actually found it easier not to smoke when I was away. You may be suprised!

Good luck and stay stong - you know deep inside that you can do this!

Tasina said...

Bay - glad you liked my metaphor...I may have peaked out on that one. I'm not taking any pictures. I don't even know the bride. This is one of those weird family things you find yourself sucked into.

Ex - I think if we went on a real vacation I would be ok. But I always smoked even more than usual at my mom's. It's going to be tough.