"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

8.11.2007

Chantix Day 19, Smoke Free Day 4

Today has been a little easier. I've tried to keep myself busy. We shampooed the carpet in our room and REALLY cleaned the living room. I even Windexed all the glass on my picture frames. I'm sure all you smokers are smiling because you KNOW that paper towel came away that yucky yellowy brown color. Bleh. Aren't we all glad we're not putting this on our teeth, hair, clothes, walls, windows, etc. anymore? I never did get the bathroom done. We still have to put all the furniture back in our room and I'd like to give that a thorough cleaning like we did the living room. The rest of the house can wait until tomorrow. I think staying busy really helped. I've had a few rough moments, but it's been ok.

I got some really good news today too. I was given my starter month of Chantix as a free sample. I was worried about the cost of further pills, which I will need the week after next. I called Walgreens to see if my insurance will cover it. Turns out they will! My cost will be $56. Extraordinarily cheap if you consider how much cigs cost. $56 is about one carton - which would only last me about a week. I think all insurance should cover this. What they're going to save on my various heavy-smoker related illnesses over time should more than offset a few months of Chantix. I would have paid full price for it, but it's nice to know that I won't have to. I really want to put a Quit Meter on here as others have done. But I don't want to jinx myself. I'll put one up after two weeks.

P.S. Maggie - it was delicious. We tried to wait for you, but couldn't make it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yah, I was held up in traffic for hours, got really hungry and stopped for a corn dog at the gas station and really wished I could have been there. You tried ;)

So glad to hear you've been so productive! That ick that comes off of stuff is incredible.

Wow, insurance covering your Chantix! Are you comfortable sharing the insurance company name? I only ask because so far I've found Kaiser and one prescription plan separate from health insurance plan that will cover, and I'm running a survey in my head that I keep hoping I'll be able to share when I have more answers than that. A free sample, too? Sheesh, hadn't heard of that, either.

You are doing great, Tasina. Keep going!

Tasina said...

Go check your MySpace inbox. I answered your question there.

Konstantin said...

You've got to be kidding! Please don't withhold that information from us! We need to know the insurance name! It's very rare that an insurance will cover Chantix, so I think it'll be a big deal if you let everyone know what your insurance is. Please. :)

Glad to hear you are staying busy! I SO KNOW THAT BROWNISH YELLOWISH color on paper towels...I cleaned my car a while ago and it was disgusting.

Tasina said...

Stan - I'm not trying to be deliberately vague, I just don't want to give out TOO much personal info for the whole world to see. Contact me on MySpace or email me or something and I'll be happy to tell you.

I will say that it's not a "big" insurance company like Kaiser or Blue Cross/Shield.