Well it finally really happened. I was standing in front of the mall waiting for Jeff and this guy was standing there smoking a cigarette. It smelled sooooooooooooooooooooo good. I kept looking over at the guy and he finally asked if his cigarette was bothering me. I said, "I recently quit - it smells fantastic." He just laughed. Again it just made me kind of sad and longing. But I did not go out and buy any. *big dramatic sigh*
Maggie linked to a YouTube video in her comments to someone else. She said it was not for the faint of heart and boy was she right. It's a video this guy made chronicling his mother's death from lung cancer. I bawled my eyes out watching it. An aunt of mine died of lung cancer earlier this spring. I hate to think what she (and her immediate family) went through. It also didn't help that the woman in this video is kind of a smaller woman with black hair. People who *really* know me, know why that's bad. Anyway, here's the link. It is very sad and hard to watch. Please make sure you can handle it before you click. I really don't want my kids making a video like this about me some day. I guarantee that the thought of my kids going through this made me much sadder than not being able to light up with a stranger this afternoon.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
8.18.2007
Chantix Day 26, Smoke Free Day 11
at
4:50 PM
Labels: Chantix, Quit Smoking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
See, even if others smoke around you, you still don't have to. Even if it does smell kind of good ;)
The video is pretty powerful, isn't it?
That video was devastating. Very hard to watch.
Good post, Tasina, and a wise way of looking at things. Sometimes things we don't have the strength to do for ourselves, we can find the strength to do for other people. Congratulations on passing your first "endurance test" - even with the big dramatic sigh. :-)
That video brought me back to 1995 when I lost my mother to lung cancer. Very hard to watch, but something I needed to do. Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment