"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

8.12.2007

Chantix Day 20, Smoke Free Day 5

I'm so happy that I made it through the weekend. I was very nervous about notsmoking with all this free time on my hands. Staying busy really helped (although I've not done much of anything today). I still have to wonder how I would do around other smokers. I think that will be really hard. I don't feel at all ready for a test of that quite yet, but I'm not going to actively avoid it either. I've been very lucky over the last week that I just really haven't been in situations around smokers. I haven't even had anything happen like I walk out of a store and someone is standing right outside smoking. I still think that if someone offered me a cigarette it would be almost impossible to say no. But maybe I'm being too hard on myself. I do know that if I were to smoke right now it will taste horrible.

Speaking of things tasting horrible (because that's always a fun topic), I seem to be have some sort of weird issue with this. I know a smoker is supposed to get all their taste buds back and sense of smell and all that, but this does not seem to be working out too great for me. Over the last few days, any kind of meat has tasted really weird. This is only for meat that's kind of stand alone - not mixed in with other ingredients or heavily spiced/sauced. It's been so strange that when we went out for lunch today, I just ordered sides and no meat because I didn't think I would eat it. I have no idea why this is happening, if it's related to quitting or not. I just hope it goes away soon or I start getting used to it because I love meats and I'm hungry!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tasina, I'm with you on not really avoiding smokers, but also not really seeking it out. I'm pretty content where I am just not having had to deal with it yet. You would be fine and would say no, just like I would, I bet.

One of the side effects of Chantix can be changes in how things taste, so I'm thinking that sounds pretty likely. I don't know that I'm tasting things any more fully than before like people say happens (didn't on any other quit for me, either), but I think it's because I was just born with a maxed out sense of taste so that it's simply not possible to taste any more fully. I'm with you in hoping that issue leaves you soon because tasting yummy stuff is something I really love, too.

You are doing awesome, and your first weekend is just about behind you. Now you know that it's possible and that you can totally do it. Go Tasina!

Konstantin said...

You know, for some reason my sense of taste was reclaimed very gradually... On top of that, pretty much everything tasted differently from what I was used to. I thought it was because smoking would only reveal a little bit of taste to me before, and now I would be tasting it all. But in the end, it's all same old stuff I was tasting. :) You'll get used to it!

OOooh, and also there's this very common thing - people have a metallic taste in their mouths the first several weeks after they quit. I don't know what to attribute that to, but when I quit cold turkey last October, I had that really bad. Didn't have it now, though. Really spooky, haha.

Tasina said...

Well lucky for me the IMPORTANT things still taste the same: coffee, chocolate, Mt. Dew, etc. I'll probably be ok! ;)