"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

8.27.2007

Didn't Smoke & The Weirdest Dream Yet

I didn't smoke. That's all I want to say about last weekend.

The dream I had last night has to be the freakiest one so far. But let me preface this by making two points. First of all, there is this big rift in my (very large) extended family. Various people aren't speaking to various other people for a variety of reasons. I'm fairly uninvolved in all this because A) I haven't been back here long enough to get involved and B) I have absolutely no desire to get involved. I have my own opinions about the various tiffs, but I keep them to myself. (Let me also say that, by and large, my extended family is made up of really wonderful people - smart, funny, great story tellers, etc. - we're not all a bunch of snarling grudge-holders.) So that was point one. Point two is that I am a complete unbeliever. Ghosts, psychic abilities, clairvoyance, space aliens, faeries, Bigfoot, chupacabra, the Loch Ness monster, EVP....you name it, I don't believe it. Show me SOLID evidence (as opposed to jittery night vision tapes on You Tube) and I might change my mind. But until I see some REAL evidence - no way. So it's not like I believe that dreams can predict the future or any other such nonsense.

BUT....

With all that being said, my dream still really freaked me out. In the dream my two boys were standing in our family cemetery looking at a couple of headstones. And the boys were waaaaay older. I'd say Noah was in his mid 50's and Dylan in his mid to late 60's. So they're standing there looking at the graves of a couple of my uncles. Dylan tells Noah that he thinks that the two uncles didn't like each other or died without speaking to each other ever again. Noah asked him why and Dylan said that he couldn't remember exactly what the whole thing was about. Noah then told Dylan that he thought it was pretty stupid for two brothers to end their lives that way. OH...also....there were some kids like running around in the background and somehow I knew that these were Noah and Dylan's kids or grandkids. So then the whole scene changed and went into the future and there were two other men standing there looking at Noah and Dylan's graves. (I know it's creepy to dream about my kids' graves - it's all Chantix). And I knew somehow that these two men were also brothers and either grandsons of Noah or of Dylan. And what they're talking about is how much Noah and Dylan loved each other all their lives. Then they turn and look back at my uncles' graves and one says that his dad told him that those two (my uncles) died not speaking to each other. And the two men agree how stupid and wasteful it is for brothers to be like that - especially because now no one even remembers what the problem was in the first place.

I swear I was almost crying when I woke up.

5 comments:

Kat said...

Congratulations on successfully navigating the weekend. I kept thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. I'm so glad you made it!!

Okay, I have a story to relate that is an odd combination of the elements you mentioned: "unexplained occurences" (which people attempt to explain all the time, in all the ways skeptics find so hard to believe), family feuds, and dreams. When I was eight years old my mom had a dream that my brother died. He was twenty-five at the time, and they had been fighting for years. In fact, the were completely estranged and weren't speaking any longer. When she had the dream, it shook her up so much that she put down her pride and went to see him in the other state where he was living. Over the course of a weekend, they patched their differences and made peace. Three weeks later there was a fire and my brother did die. I know there are plenty of arguments to be made that this was complete coincidence, but I believe that dream was a gift that saved my mom's sanity. She had already had one child die under emotionally devastating circumstances which left her blaming herself for years. If my brother had died with no peace between them, she would have been inconsolable. This is no hard evidence of a supernatural world, but it has always led me to be more open to the concept that there are things beyond human understanding. What does this have to do with your vivid Chantix dreams? Nothing, of course, but all the things you mentioned dredged up the memory and out it spilled. :-)

I'm glad your dream about Noah and Dylan was so uplifting--and I sincerely hope that this one is prophetic.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in a god and I also give no credence to dreams other than they reflect (oft times in strange ways) things that are going on in your waking life. I'm fully prepared to go unemotionally scarred to my grave estranged from all my family members who no longer count me among theirs. Nice dream though.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Chantix or not, true for the future in any way or not, that is just really incredible. And so very true. Cool.

MsTekLady said...

CONGRATULATIONS on not smoking this weekend! That's a huge step for you to be around a bunch of smokers and not smoke - good for you! It will be a couple of months before I can do that! As for your dream, wow! That was a pretty deep, but the message is oh, so true!

Bay in TN said...

Dang, Tasina, my vivid dreams are not *nearly* as cool as yours. Mostly my vivid dreams are all, "Look at this Kate Spade purse on sale for $5! Cool! Now let's fly!" ;)

I'm glad you didn't smoke over the weekend. I didn't smoke, either! We are the coolest. Because we didn't smoke, even though we probably want to. OK, *I* want to. I am really missing the cool kids in the smoking areas outside the used book store right now.... But that's just me. You are the coolest because you *didn't* smoke! Yay, Tasina!!!! Go, you!!!!!