"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




11 comments:
I love those paintings. Are they somewhere in particular or just in general?
A bad thunderstorm came through somewhere near here at the beginning of the summer. I don't know who took the pictures, but a bunch of them circulated through email. I sent copies to my husband and he picked a couple to paint. They are not exact copies of the pictures, but they're not supposed to be.
Thunderstorms rock! I really miss them out here.
You didn't love the coffee? I love the coffee.
I love the coffee.
You...."LOVE"....the coffee. It's different.
I'm so cracking up right now. No WONDER you're up all the time. All that coffee. I'm going to have a new coffee machine picture for you this weekend. Wait for it. Remind me.
By the way, I hate thunderstorms. I'm TERRIFIED of thunderstorms. The next big storm that comes through is going to be probably the worst smoking test of all.
Gosh, I feel... different from all the other kids. I really still only average about 2 cups per day (well, weekdays), and one of those is sometimes decaf at night (when I'm not on the Americanos...) Shhh.
Oh. Well my bad. I drink way more than 2 cups a day. I have this embarrassingly large mug thing that I take to work every day. It's probably 4...5 cups maybe? I dunno.
Decaf????? WTH? I'm caf...all the way....caf.
I guess I was just so used to the thunderstorms growing up that they don't bother me. Tornadoes bother me. So do earthquakes.
When I experienced my first earthquake when I lived in Japan, people laughed at me because it was such a small one and I was so incredibly freaked out (and ready to leave immediately). A few days later, there was a thunderstorm, and since they got them so rarely, I stood on the stairwell outside enjoying it while my neighbors freaked out - "Maggie-sensei, it's very dangerous, da yo! Be careful, ne!" I stayed outside (covered), and they finally retreated back into their apartments. And they probably smoked, too, something I was scared to do during an earthquake.
I always have a cup of coffee in front of me, but I can nurse the same one even if it's not hot. Unless it's espresso. Then gone. Just gone.
The decaf is only since I gotten too old to sleep right if I have too much caf, and so I'll do something like half-decaf, half-not. Or, I'll just drink espresso anyway, and to hell with consequences. Like lately. Gosh I'm tired lately...
I've never experienced a "real" earthquake. This state does get very very very small tremors every once in a very very very great while, but nothing truly scary. I still think storms are worse. It's the anticipation. You know it's coming. They put all the warnings out. You can see the sky getting all ominous and freaky. Brrrrr. Yuck. With an earthquake: it hits, you make it or die, it's over (maybe some big aftershocks - which you make it or die and they're over). No waiting. No anticipating. No pacing around smoking waiting to die.
Yah, I suppose instant can be better that way. I just don't find them scary, so I don't pace. Just cozy up with a cup of coffee and look out the window.
Post a Comment