"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

2.06.2008

Sticky fingers

I was forced to sit in the waiting room 20 minutes beyond my appointment time. This gave me the confidence to tear a recipe out of the 5 month old Men's Health magazine I was reading. I was recently chastised for too many recipes on here, but I do not respond well to chastisement....or being made to wait.

Anyway, the appointment was with my orthopedic surgeon. It's all good: knee is very stable, things are healing normally, keep doing the exercises that I have been really bad about doing. (I don't respond well to being told to exercise either...apparently.) I have to wear a brace if I'm going to be doing anything beyond normal walking (not bloody likely) and I still need to be cautious is situations where I could lose my balance (which, for me, appears to be MOST SITUATIONS).

So of course I modified the recipe to my taste and here it is (mostly to irritate the person who said no more recipes - that's you Chica):

Cheesy Meatballs

12 oz lean ground beef
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
italian seasoning to taste
3 green onions, chopped fine
3 gloves garlic, minced
Cheese cubes (we found a provelone/feta/parmesan mix)
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 jar artichoke hearts, chopped
salt/pepper to taste

Mix beef, bread crumbs, eggs, seasoning, 1/2 of onions, and 1/2 of garlic into meatballs - slightly larger than golf ball size.
Press thumb into meatball to make an indentation. Place cheese in indentation and fold meat back over to cover.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and sear meatballs until evenly brown. Remove to plate. Add remaining onion and garlic - saute until light brown. Put meatballs back in and add tomatoes and artichoke hearts. cook over low heat for 1/2 hour.
Season with salt and pepper and serve over pasta or rice.

Off to go make this now. Sounds tasty, yeah? Update later.

UPDATE: Indeed it was tasty! Although rather than use crushed tomatoes I think next time I'll just make or buy a marinara sauce. Could have used a splash of wine too. I do think it's a keeper though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I have a regular meatball recipe that I love and love to freeze in batches, but I might need to try this one because of the magic word, cheese! Who said no more recipes? If I can't smoke, then my ass is going to eat. And in order to eat, I need some direction. Which means recipes. Ones with cheese, in particular ;)

Tasina said...

OMG....Where were you putting your cigarettes??? LMAO.

I know what you meant but...but...LOL

lynda w said...

I love cheesy meatballs! I cheat and buy the frozen ones though.

My, my our Maggie is fiesty today, isn't she? LoL