It's Dylan's birthday today.
I can't tell you how much I wish that this was a picture from his party. But this picture was taken 10 years ago. Today he is 17. This is such a happy/sad time for me. It has been such an honor to watch this boy grow into a such a fine young man.
The thought of his future is so exciting to me. I can't wait to watch him take his steps out into the world and go places and do things and meet people.
At the same time I am just aching inside. This is my guy.
It was he and I against the world all alone for so long. Even though I love Noah and Jeff, I still sometimes wish I could turn back the clock for one day or even just one hour. Just live in that moment when he was so small and all mine. I wish I had cherished more of those moments when I had them - I didn't realize that they were so fleeting. I didn't know he would only be a baby for blink, only be 2 for a heartbeat, and only be the sweetest 5 year old in the world for the briefest flash. The next moment he grew up and away.
I weep now for that small boy so full of wonder and love.
He is still full of wonder and I couldn't ask for a more loving young man. For those of you who read along through my terrible fall last October, I can't begin to explain how amazing he was during all of that. No son should have to take care of his mom like he had to...but he just did it. Willingly and happily and with no questions asked. This is a kid who will play with his brother for hours on end, help out his grandparents whenever they ask, give a friend a ride if they ever need one. And he does all this with gladness in his heart and a smile on his face. I can't believe that someone as self-centered and cranky as me managed to turn out this kid. I really can't take too much credit for it. He's always just been so happy. When he was about a year old my brother said, "all your kid does is sleep or smile!"
We certainly have our normal teenage kinds of ups and downs. I know that most of it is just him trying to discover who he is and where he fits in the world. I want him to discover these things. I understand that he needs to leave me and become a man who stands on his own two feet. I can say (or type) these things with all the knowledge in my head.
But my heart hurts. I know I have to let him go but so much of me wants to hold on to him forever. I know that our relationship will have to rearrange. We've been through this before - from little boy at home to school kid...from having him on my own to sharing him with Jeff and Noah and him sharing me...from really a kid at home now to a young man with a car and a job and his own life. We will get to a place where he is my adult child and I learn to love all the things about the man he becomes. I will learn to someday love his wife and the grandchildren he gives me. Most of me looks forward to all of this.
But I keep having to take a break while I write this to wipe away the tears I have for that sweetest and smallest of boys who stole my heart the first moment I saw him. I want to crawl into this picture and curl up next to him...smell the sweetness of the back of his neck...feel the softness of that small boy body...hold that little boy hand...and just never ever let him go.
I love you D.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
2.26.2008
Dylan's Birthday (Bittersweet)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
OMG, Tasina, you actually made me cry. Real tears. That is the sweetest thing. You raised a good one, and the world needs so many more of those like Dylan. Off to find a tissue...
Oh Tasina....weeping over here. I had to pause while reading this...What a sweet post for your handsome little to grown man :)
It was a hard day. A great day - but hard.
You're an amazing woman, who has raised an amazing child and I love you both and am proud to be your aunt. AS
Thank you so much AS. It helps to have a loving wonderful aunt who will drop everything to throw a party for a kid. Love you!
Zach is going to be 18 in a couple weeks (while we are in Rome, actually!)...And then in a few months he starts college. I hate it. I cannot bear the thought of not seeing him every day...You made me cry too. This is a wonderful post.
(And now for something completely different: Part two is up, and no toddlers were harmed during the filming. I wish I could say no dogs were either, but...go. read.)
Oh Tasina that is so sweet... I am a bit sooky here as well.. My little boy will be 14 soon.. He towers over me and it is still a wierd feeling when he hugs me and his chin is all scratchy from needing a shave.. the Man/Boy stage is hard
I worry more about him than I did with Veronica.... *sigh*
I am off to hug my son ....
cheers Kim
I'm going to hug my little boy when he gets home from school today and not let him go!!!
Today is my daughter's 12th birthday and she's already taking those first steps towards independence. It's heartbreaking.
Tasina..he is SO handsome..he looks like his mommy. You must be very very proud. I know you are.. When we go to the Scouts dinner w/ my 8 year old step son Sunday I'm going to give him extra hugs..that he will hate!
that was beautiful. i can't yet fathom the love a mother has for her child, but you gave me a realistic glimpse. i hope i have this privilege someday.
Post a Comment