"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

2.02.2008

Painful Admission

*takes a deep breath*

I hate kids. LOL. No - I don't HATE them....I just don't really LIKE them all that much. I love and like and am crazy about my OWN kids. It's YOUR kids I don't like. One of the hardest things about being a parent for me is having to deal with other kids. I really just wish that my kids could be nasty anti-social little critters like me and just....I dunno....hang out with me all day. But that's probably some kind of abusive treatment. So I slap a big fake smile on my face and welcome the neighborhood rugrats into my home. Ugh.

Dylan made this really hard for me as he has always been really friendly and social. Where did I go wrong with him??? Also, we always had the "cool" stuff at our house - TV's, video games, snacks, a mom who would play video games and cuss from time to time, etc. So the kids wanted to BE at our house. *shudder* Troops of kids in and out of my house. I'd rather have an infestation of army ants. (This all changes when they become teenagers - someone else's mom/house/stuff is always cooler and I never see him - karma got me I guess.)

I had high hopes for Noah. He's always been very timid and shy and only REALLY wanted to be with his Dad, his Mom, and his brother - in that order. Success!!! He'll just live with us alone forever. Sure he'll be a little weird - into D&D, or a big Trekkie freak, or a hacker or something. But at least he could do those activities ALONE - or at least online. I was all ready to get him his own tablet PC and Yahoo account. But he has betrayed me. He's going to insist on being normal and mentally healthy. Dratted kid.

We're having a play date today. I hate that phrase - play date. It sounds.....lame. I'm sure this kid coming over is a sweet little boy. I'm sure Noah will have a great time as he cautiously steps out into the world of friends and social development. (TRAITOR) I'm sure this is only just the beginning of another round of other people's sweaty little monsters eating my food and making messes on my rug. Great.

And I suppose I should be really happy. There are kids with developmental challenges that have a terrible time with social skills and their parents would kill to have something like the occasional play date. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I know this a character defect. Dealing with other people's kids is just something that's not natural or comfortable for me. I admire the HECK out of people who are good with kids. Being something like a Kindergarten teacher is just astounding to me. I have a good friend who worked with developmentally challenged children for a time and my admiration for what she did knows no bounds.

So we will have Noah's friend over today and make him welcome and hope he has a really good time. I'll wave tearfully as my littlest boy and last baby finally starts to take the brave steps out into a bigger world. This is where you begin to lose them. This is where they begin to realize that there is a whole big exciting world beyond the walls of their home and they can't WAIT to get out there and explore every inch of it. Mostly, I'm glad that Noah is following in the steps of his big brother by making friends and pulling away from us. But there will always be a part of me that weeps for my little babies - my little bundles to cuddle and love and who never wanted anything more than to be by my side and in my arms. The time we get to do that is heartbreakingly short.

9 comments:

K. said...

I totally hate kids, too! No, honestly, it's more that I don't really get why people say "I love kids" because to me it's like saying "I love grocery store clerks" or "I love scientists." Everyone is an individual, and I take kids, scientists and grocery clerks on a person by person basis. But it did take me some time to adjust to having a ton of other people's kids over at our house.

The only thing I've found to be worse than the kids, though, is quite often the parents!

Tasina said...

hahahah I really DO love grocery store clerks - that scan-it-yourself line at Wal-mart is crap and never works for me! ;)

dawn224 said...

me too - I love my kid - don't like many others. at all.

and I was a TEACHER for cryin' out loud.

Veronica Foale said...

I don't much like other peoples kids. I adore Amy though. It must be commoner than we think.

Also? I can't believe that I haven't been over here recently. I am such a bad blog friend. I updated my blogroll today too. Finally!

lynda w said...

Oh, thank God I'm not alone! My son's friends drive me bananas. However, now that my daughter is getting older, I don't mind her friends coming over anymore. They just whole up in her room and I never see or hear them.

How old is Noah? When Ryan started Kindergarten last year it broke me (and him.) It was by far the worst week of my life - probably mostly because it was so hard on him - because that's when I lost my last "baby". It still makes me sad.

Anonymous said...

You are awesome, and some kids just... aren't. It's all good. How did it go??

Anonymous said...

Phew! I thought I was the only one to put on my smiley face when other kids come over to play.
To tell you the truth, other people's kids make me nervous. i don't want them to see me as uncool because I don't want my kids to blame me for any unpopularity.
I just can't talk to other people's children the way I can with my own.
And yet there are always a couple of extras here...

Konstantin said...

lol. don't you just wish you could show other kids' parents how to raise kids? dunno about you, but I certainly feel that way sometimes when I see some totally spoiled, spun out of control kid throw groceries at me at a supermarket and his mom just SMILE at me?!?! ugh.

MP said...

you are totally killing me today.. LOL...
At least they don't make you play WITH them...