"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

2.05.2008

Cursed

I sometimes think I have some sort of weird curse.

Example 1 - A long time ago I had this boyfriend. Nothing serious - at least not on my part. Anyway, I finally just got bored with the guy because he was kind of dull. So I broke up with him in probably a bitchy way. The NEXT DAY he bought a scratch off lottery ticket and won like $20,000.

Example 2 - I have been a lifetime Mt. Dew addict. I could guzzle this stuff from morning to night. With my big diet plans I decided to give up my Dew. It's been VERY hard. I hate all diet sodas. I've been drinking water like madwoman. This has been almost as hard as giving up smokes. At my work we have a break room in the basement. There is a Coke machine in the break room. I went down there today to get some (sugarfree) gum from the other vending machine. The pop machine now has Mt. Dew in it.

Example 3 - Speaking of quitting smoking....I read an article yesterday that over time it costs more money to deal with the health aspects of a skinny non-smoker than it does those of the obese or smokers....mostly because skinny non-smokers live long enough to get the REALLY yucky diseases. Great. Maybe quitting smoking but staying fat allows me to split the difference. Then I can go back to my Dew.

I have a bunch of other examples of stuff like this. I'm completely shocked that I haven't gotten West Nile Virus or Lyme Disease or something equally horrible. Actually I'm surprised that I haven't gotten like testicular cancer or something IMPOSSIBLE for me to get! I'll be the one freak case in the medical literature.

Normally these freak things don't bug me. I just shake my head and think, "Of course it would be ME who does/has/gets X" and then go about my day. Other times I try to deliberately avoid thinking about it or I'll go completely nuts. I think this is why I'm afraid of things like tornadoes. I'll be the one unlucky schmo who gets hit. If I start thinking that way too much I'll be a complete shut in - drooling in a corner wrapped in bubble wrap wearing my tinfoil hat. Because if the evil aliens do come you KNOW where they're gonna land......


5 comments:

lynda w said...

Ok, the eyes? Freaky.

The bad luck? I'm sorry, that sucks. My husband has that problem, too.

LoL.

Julie said...

I have been having that cursed feeling for the last few months -- it seems like nothing lately ever just works or goes without a hitch. I am really tired of that...

The little youtube thing is very sorta creepy...

Momisodes said...

Holy crap! Thanks for the nightmares!!! ;) That. was. scary!

I can't believe that about your ex! At least he didn't win the 20K and elope the next day with some other chic.

Anonymous said...

That's funny stuff. In a bad way. Many parts of my life are like that, though, too...

MP said...

OK..this is totally stupid..but everytime I fall head over heals in love w/ a TV show it gets cancelled. I won't watch a show that I know I'll like cause I'm afriad they will cancel it.
Right now I'm mourning The 4400.
You House/Lost/Grey's Anatomy people are safe..I don't watch those shows.