"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

1.23.2008

More food

This is really turning into a food blog. Oh well. I like food.

A family member gave me this recipe and I am just about to go off and make it. I'll update later how it turned out.

1 pound beef boneless top loin or sirloin
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 TBS sugar
2 TBS sesame or vegetable oil
1/4 tsp pepper
3 green onions finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Trim fat from beef: cut beef diagonally across grain into 1/8-inch slices. Mix remaining ingredients; stir in beef until well coated. Cover and refrigerate 20 minutes
Drain beef: stir-fry in 10-inch skillet or wok over medium heat until light brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve beef with hot cooked rice, if desired. (Why one would serve it with cold uncooked rice is beyond me!)

Sounds yummy. We'll have it with rice and some kind of green vegetable.

UPDATE: This turned out to be really good. I did only 2 tbsp of sugar and 1/2 tsp of powdered ginger. I think next time I might add a teeny bit of red pepper flakes - just for a little kick. It's a keeper for sure.

Grossness alert - read no further if you have a touchy tummy.

And because it's so appetizing to talk about poo at the same time as food - here's a question I pose to you all. Please leave suggestions.

My teen son is slip-shod about cleaning the cat boxes (one of his VERY FEW chores). I came home today to a large pile of cat poo in MY BEDROOM - not HIS bedroom...MINE. Is it reasonable to move the cat boxes in his room until he learns to keep them clean??? Is this over-reacting? I'm also contemplating other options - slap a knot on the kid's head with the poo scooper or shoot the cat.

6 comments:

maggie said...

That did sound yummy! Soy, sesame, garlic, your addition of some ginger - can't go wrong.

I don't want to talk about cats and boxes and what they do to the sofa in the absence of human intervention for a few days.

Tasina said...

LOL...oh my. That sounds bad. Want me to smack Dylan with the poo scooper for you - just on GPs?

Momisodes said...

Wow! that does sound like a great recipe :) I make something similar to it, but I'll have to try out some of these other ingredients you have :)

As for the litter box.....err, uh...is there a bathroom you can put it in?

Tasina said...

I guess the post kind of makes it sound like the box is in my room. It's not. It's in the laundry area. The point is that he doesn't do a good job cleaning it. If it's actually in his room, he'll have to keep it clean or the smell will kill him.

Julie said...

Sounds good...and sounds rather like stuff I have made in the past.

I love that you are turning into a (at least part-time) foodie blog, because I love food. And recipes. And eating.

I would threaten to put the cat box in Dylan's bed. Or clean it myself and put that in Dylan's bed. I would not follow through with the second one, of course, because I would have to clean it up again...

Author said...

Put it in his room! It will do no harm to him. At least then he'll have to deal with consequences of not cleaning the box -- at least the smell.