Gee - I think I'm the only person who has decided to blog about needing to lose weight. I know none of you have read about this on any other blogs.
I really do hate the way I look. That picture off to the left is about 7 years old - and I was chunky then. Pop and sweets and I don't do a damn thing physical. That's why I'm like this. I've eliminated the cigarettes so now it's time to eliminate the junk in my diet. What's the point of getting rid of the #1 preventable killer if I'm still doing the #2 preventable killer. Or have they swapped by now?
This is going to be really hard. I love food. I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweets and pop. Pasta is my best friend.
*beginning to sniffle*
So far I have quit the pop. That stuff is just pure garbage. If I MUST have a pop I have to drink Diet.
*beginning to tear up*
My main goal right now is to eliminate the pop and to cut WAAAAAAAAAY back on the sweets. Pasta and other carb evils will be limited to a small portion of one meal a day.
*doing that little chest-hitch/hiccup thing that little kids do right before or after a huge melt down*
My physical therapy for my knee injury starts on Friday so I am now on doctor-mandated exercise. I obviously can't do anything too strenuous right now, but that will increase as I heal up.
*shoulders shaking*
Do any of you feel like I do? Here's some help. Notice all the packaged crap the American family has. Do some simple math and figure out how many WEEKS you could feed the last family on what the American family spends. Look at all the fresh fruits and vegetables some cultures eat. Look how much feeds X number of people from picture to picture. I have NOTHING to cry about.
Ok the pictures quit working - I don't know why. Click the links.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
1.02.2008
How original
The book is Hungry Planet: what the world eats. by Peter menzel.
Here are some more links about this work (that actually give credit to the ones due):
at
6:04 PM
Labels: Diet, Just Me Ranting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
I'm just going with some healthier picks and smaller portions in general. I don't believe that fat or carbs are bad unless I eat them the way I like to most ;)
Sadly, it is often far more expensive to eat healthier foods, so it can be tough on a budget unless you are particularly savvy about it, and often those most strapped for cash just don't have the time to get savvy. I do frugal Mondays where we sometimes can eat for about $0.33 - $0.50 per serving (yes, anal me, it's calculated and on a spreadsheet) if I shop carefully and get dried beans, cornmeal, etc. from the super cheap grocery store. It's even healthier than lots of alternatives, but I had to research. Go to a "real" grocery store charging twice as much for fresh veggies or try buying cheap chicken in the Northwest with the hopes of eating more healthy items, and it adds up. Quickly. Pretty sad. I long for the day I can have a little garden to grow some of my own veggies.
Oh, and I'm also super curious where the info is from, too! Interesting.
I agree that the it can be more expensive to eat well. The fattest people in our society are the poorest. It's cheap to feed people a whole mess of noodles or a bunch of cheap white bread.
Someone at work emailed me the picture - there was no indication of where it came from.
Okay, so, I am going to Italy in March with Zachary and his high school art club. Which means I have ten weeks to lose approximately 8047 pounds. So, like, taking the stairs ought to do it, right? (I live in Tucson. A single story town. Even downtown doesn't have many high rises, and the ones that are there are not that high...)
A couple years ago I had to go on Prednisone. I had lost about 20 pounds, because I was very very ill. I actually had a waist. Then I started the prednisone. It makes you feel hungry, even when you are not. And since I had been unable to eat or drink before I went into the hospital, eating was twice as great as usual. Plus prednisone makes you balloon up and become a beach ball head. Really. I have photos. Big puffy beach ball head wearing a beanie. Why the hell my family didn't just say to me, "look, the beanie is a really bad idea right now..."
So I gained the twenty pounds back, and then another twenty seven. Yay.
As for the whole Abe/knee thing -- I think you may be better off than Abe is...he has to have another surgery to "cinch his kneecap tighter", because it still is loose.
I am very aware of pods, as I watched Donald Sutherland doing that scream thing repeatedly on HBO at an impressionable age. My brother and I were very fond of that movie.
I did Weight Watchers all year..and I haven't been religious about it over the holidays and I'm starting to tell. The main thing that I have learned is to eat when you are hungry but make good choices. To have a good choice to make it starts with smart grocery shopping.. THEN when you do have pasta you eat it in moderation..add lots of veggies to your pasta or shrimp..whatever you like..fresh tomatoes. You are cutting back on the actual pasta and having some good for you stuff..that will fill you up and you won't eat as much pasta. Am I preaching..a little..but I realize commen sense like that really works! Lunch: Baked potato in the microwave w/ salt and spray butter..YUM..really. Cheap too.. You can do this!!
Just like quitting smoking, loosing weight involves changing many lifestyle choices. The soda thing is one of the easiest ways to cut pounds. I used to drink 3 or 4 a day, and now I go days without even drinking one. I cut down with my last pregnancy, allowing myself one a day (the only source of caffiene I'd get). Now, water tastes REALLY good, and it's about the only thing I want to drink. Yes, I know, YUCK -- water. But you learn to really like it. Anyways, best of luck to you!
I only weigh at the doctor's office. When I went in April and heard the results of 3 years of breathing tests I also got weighed. I'm 5'5", medium frame and 169 lbs. So I was worried since they said you can count on adding 10 lbs when you quit. I didn't, I lost weight. Quit soft drinks (diets are worse than regular!). Eat a good breakfast everyday (I like oatmeal) it starts your metabolism. Lunch is my biggest meal. If I eat out, I DO NOT clean my plate - servings are too large. Need a snack in the afternoon or night? Make it crunchy like an apple, carrot, celery 100 calories or less and the crunching makes you feel satisfied fast!
I also started walking and riding a bike. Which I'm sure have a lot to do with my weight loss, too. But not completely.
Always make sure you have some small servings of a sweet treat like those mini candy bars. One or two of those satisfies the craving without gorging and feeling quilty!
Oh yeah, I still have my 2 or 3 beers at night. I'm not giving up everything!
Hang in there, darlin'. Keep us posted!
Gurl, you can do it! I'm routing (spelling?) for you!!! As always (although lately mostly invisibly)!
Post a Comment