"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

1.10.2008

Let's Get Physical

Are you going to have that song in your head all day now? Sorry. (She said, evilly.)

***Interruption...I'm watching Paula Dean....I don't know what she's making but I heard her say "mix together two sticks of butter and 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar"...LOL....Calories and Fat Be Damned!!!....I love her***

OK, back to the topic. My Thursday Thirteen is going to about what I've learned since pinwheeling down my stairs. I choose this topic in honor of my physical therapy appointment today. Here we go:

1. Slow down. None of this would have happened if I could have just chilled out a little bit.

2. I can really shriek.

3. ER doctors have no sense of humor. I'm all whacked out on Vicodin and the guy is looking at my leg. I say, "Wow I would have shaved my legs if I knew this was going to happen." I thought it was a really good sign that I could make a funny in the midst of my crisis, but he just got this indignant look on his face and said, "We don't really care about that." Duh you moron - it was an attempt at levity....join in. Although this may be what prompted him to ask if I had been drinking. ahahaha. I wasn't, by the way.

4. A grown man, teenage boy, and 4 year old boy are totally goofy in their attempts to care for the injured and run the household. Goofy, but really sweet.

5. I can really act like an idiot if given enough Vicodin. My kids have never seen me even slightly tipsy and Dylan thought it was beyond funny how goofy I was acting. I may never live this down.

6. I really, truly hate crutches.

7. Telling people over and over that tripped over your own clumsy self and fell down the steps really gets tiresome. Next time I'll tell a different story to everyone who asks.

8. All the people at my work are really nice and accommodating. This could have been a nightmare with a different group of co-workers, but everyone was really great.

9. I really have no idea how the human body works. Learning about the parts of the knee was really interesting....although I wish I had come by my knowledge in a totally different way.

10. No one believes me when I say that anesthesia makes me REALLY REALLY REALLY sick. Every surgery I've ever had has been made 10 times worse by the entire evening of sick that follows.

11. Even at my great age, my mom will still wade in with fists swinging to get her baby girl what she wants. (I was done getting sick and wanted some broth - they said no - my mom did her mom magic - I got my broth.)

12. Physical therapy is really hard. I want to hate the therapist, but I do believe all these things will help me get back to normal (ha) as soon as possible. But it is hard.

13. I have more respect than you can imagine for people who have to live with physical disabilities everyday. There is an end to this for me, but some people live this every day. Their courage and perseverance must be astonishing.






Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


16 comments:

Kat said...

Evil is an understatement! I do NOT want vapid early-eighties Olivia Newton John songs running through my head today. How would you like it if I started throwing around titles like "Muskrat Love" or "Midnight at the Oasis"? Do you really want to start this? I could mention other ear worms like "I am stuck on Band-Aids" if I really wanted revenge. Of course, I don't, so never mind... :-) (I'm taking the Mike Huckabee approach--"I could say something nasty, like 'fill in the blank,' but won't, because I'm above that sort of thing.")

Hey, I put up a photo at the Meow of one of the jewelry designs that I've been playing with lately. Tell me what you think, k? (That is if you are still speaking to me after the ear worm wars.)

Kat said...

Oh, MAN are you in trouble!! I no sooner posted that comment than I went on to another task, and found myself mindlessly crooning "Let's Get Physical" under my breath. I really resent you at this moment. Still think you're great, but resent you like crazy. :-)

Julie said...

Yes, but Kat, now I have "Physical" cycling with "Muskrat Love" and "Stuck on Bandaids" in my brain.

It's not a pretty combination.

Kat said...

You're right, Julie. It was a mistake. I found myself mixing all of them together, and throwing in "Seasons in the Sun" to boot. Sorry about that, but if I didn't immediately make the consequences very unpleasant to our favorite ranter, the next thing Tasina would do is make one of her Thursday Thirteens a "most obnoxious ear worms" list. Just to be eviiil. Maybe it was a bit like throwing a nuclear bomb on a mosquito bite (overkill and self-destructive to boot), but that's how strongly I feel about the heinous offense of starting songs in people's heads that can do nothing but lead to insanity. I apologize for the collateral damage. :-)

Tasina said...

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer. Take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall.

98 bottles of beer on the wall, 98 bottles of beer....

hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

you poor wee thing!! are you ok?? obviously you are ok if you can make bon jovi jokes about your hair.. levity, i'm joining in :)

Amber Gilchrist said...

I love telling everyone a different story when something happens that I have to explain a lot. It's how I get my enjoyment out of life.

Ashley said...

I think next time someone asks what happen you should just "virus". I bet you would be on the news lol

If I were your ER doc, I would've laughed :)

Tasina said...

BPD - I'm ok...this happened last Oct - I'm still just in PT

AJ - I might have to start doing that from now on

Ashley - thanks!

dawn224 said...

that ER guy should be relieved you only mentioned shaving your legs and not clean underwear then!

Anonymous said...

ER docs never have a sense of humor! :( I hope you feel better soon. I am constantly tripping over my own feet, I know how irritating it gets to tell people that over and over... :(

K. said...

Okay, you got me with the 99 bottles of beer on the wall. I was fine until then, but that one jumped RIGHT into my head. If I have insomnia tonight, I'm blaming you.

2. Ha! I bet!

5. Yum - Vicodin. The drug that almost made a toothache worthwhile...

11. Good for her. Glad you have someone like that one your side, I think even in the best of hospitals people can get lost in the shuffle without someone advocating for them.

Julie said...

Tasina...I will post a photo of the meatloaf tomorrow, wait it is tomorrow, today so you can see it. My son made it for me for my birthday. It's really quite disgusting and disturbing, according to various people's reactions...

I should add something about my son not having to sleep in the cage because he did such a good job, but then everyone would think I really am crazy.

I do not cage my children. It is just the funny with Tasina thing. Really.

Anonymous said...

Aw...I hope you're feeling better! Vicodin does nothing for me, by the way. Now codeine is another story altogether. ;)

MP said...

all of you people are MEAN women..Let's Get Phsical was bad enough...
YMCA........
OK..
Crutches do suck..

Mz Diva said...

When I got to #13, you reminded me of how an injury can make you grateful for being able to walk, talk and not be physically challanged. I also had a major leg injury (earthquake related) and was on crutches for eight weeks and in physical therapy for even longer. I got amazingly good at walking on crutches, even up and down stairs! Even after I was able to walk, I had major leg crampings and other issuses but I was grateful to at least be able to walk! The people who live thier lives with a disability and are courageous and persevere like Christopher Reeves really make me humbled. Even to this day, I try to be grateful for the little things. Thanks for the reminder.
Peace,
Diva