Wow. Last night I started reading "Heart-Shaped Box" by Joe Hill - his full name is Joe Hill King and he is Stephen King's son. The book is REALLY creepy. I don't normally get scared by scary books, but this one put a mental image in my head that really tripped me out. Hill does not have quite the facility with language that I so admire in King, but so far it's a good read.
Here's something I noticed about these new books by the King family. Hill's book has been out for a few months while King's is brand new. It dawned on me last night that in King's book one of the characters keeps referring to a "heart-shaped box." Shameless promotion and marketing of kid or just a really proud dad? King seems like a decent dude - I'm going with really proud dad. It's kind of cute even.
One day until Lost for those of you, like me, who are going bananas waiting for it.
Viva le trash!!!
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
1.30.2008
Long live the King (let)
at
12:10 PM
Labels: Books, Just Me Ranting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Creepy stuff stuck in the head is such a King thing, and I think it's cool that his son is writing. And that Lost is back tomorrow! Tonight I'll need to watch the last episode shown because I damaged my memory with junior high/high school stunts...
ROFL at "Viva le trash" ...I'm not usually a scary book person,....I'm scared of my own shadow. :(
I have a big decision to make tonight...wish me luck. I am 99% sure that I will be making this huge transition. I think I am most looking forward to having time to relax. Maybe start reading a little more!
See, one of the first things that made me love Stephen King was the way he would work in those references in his books to his other books. To me it's such a nice wink to those of us who follow his work, and now his family's work. It's the kind of thing you wouldn't think twice about if you didn't know what he was referencing, but because you know about it, it's like you're in on the joke. It's always made me feel appreciated by him, in a strange way.
Very excited about Lost.
I tried to read a King book before. Can't remember the title as it was quite a few years ago, but it had something to do with clowns and a forest. I got part way through the book and couldn't sit down to pee without checking behind the shower curtain for years. I never did finish the book. I'm shivering just thinking about it - I'm a wuss.
Post a Comment