"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

1.14.2008

Complete Geek

Ok. This will be the last "Lost" post....for a while. I stumbled upon this site - Lost is a Game - and have found the theory pretty interesting. The guy argues that really this is all a big, elaborate two player game of some sort. Interesting, but I don't buy it. Mostly I really just enjoy the show. The acting is great, the production values are as good as a movie, the storyline is compelling, etc. I haven't given too much thought to "what it all means" or "what's the big explanation." That'll work itself out. We'll get there.

But after reading through the Lost is a Game site, I decided to do some thinking about the what it IS all about. Here comes my theory and I'm sticking to it. When the show is all over and I am proved fantastically right, I will direct you all to this post. If I'm wrong, I'll go back into Blogger dashboard and delete it. So here we go:

There are MANY references to Stephen King and his works in Lost. And apparently he's a big fan of the show. That's neither here nor there. Anyway, I am also a big Stephen King fan as well as a Lost fan. One recurring theme in many of King's works is the idea of many different universes all existing simultaneously, but slightly differently. So maybe in a parallel world I'm carving this blog post into stone or using a pen made out of a quill instead of typing on a computer. The whole Dark Tower series deals with different worlds as do the books The Talisman, Black House, Insomnia, and Hearts In Atlantis (just to name a few). For some reason King thinks this idea is compelling. He also writes about "thin" places in the world - places where it's easier to slip from world to world.

So - my theory is that the plane slipped through some kind of time rip or thin spot and all these people are existing in a parallel universe. Why or do they get back or whatever - I don't know...the story will answer those questions. This theory certainly explains how the people on the island are told by a woman that parachutes in that their plane was found and everyone was dead. In that universe they ARE dead, in this one they're not. It also explains how no one can find the island - because it doesn't really exist in our world. The discussion with my husband that prompted all this was much longer - I don't want to go into the whole thing. My theory doesn't answer everything, but I think it's way better than it's all a game, it's all a dream, it's just purgatory, etc. Here's one last point. The two main male characters on Lost are "Jack" and "Sawyer." One of (if not THE) the earliest King books that deals with different worlds and traveling through them is The Talisman. The hero of The Talisman (and, later, of Black House) is a boy named Jack Sawyer.

*cue eerie coincidence music*

4 comments:

Kat said...

Interesting theory. Ked and I are big Lost fans too. It's been so well done that I find the ongoing suspense bearable snd am just enjoying the ride. I don't need all the answers right away, as that would mean the ride would be over. If, however, we get to the end without a satisfactory resolution and answers, or it's really messy and frought with contradictions, then I will be very frustrated, because a show that's that well done deserves to be completed brilliantly.

MP said...

I never watched Lost..I'm sure I would like it though..

I LOVE Stephen King..he is a brilliant man.. IT...creeped the hell out of me..I HATE Clowns.

Author said...

I love LOST, but I try to not analyze it too much. The thing I enjoy the most about LOST is that I can never guess what happens next, and I don't want to ;-)

Interesting theory, nonetheless.

K. said...

OH MY GOSH! I can NOT believe that I never made that connection with Jack Sawyer from The Talisman. Brilliant catch! Loved that book.

I think your theory is great. Another bonus is that I don't think it would be disappointing as a resolution, either, compared to some of the other possibilities that have been discussed.