"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

3.08.2008

Scrolling Saturday 03.08.08

S C R O L L I N G S A T U R D A Y

Melissa at Such Simple Pleasures and Coleen at Manners and Moxie have this really cool “meme“. You go back in your archives, dig up an old blog post, repost it, and let it get some new love!

I wrote this post last September before we went on a road trip. Still hacks me off. There were a couple of news links above the main body, but I eliminated those here.

****RANT ALERT****

I'm not a big sports fan. I don't mind a Broncos game now and then. I like ice skating. I used to follow tennis. But no one in the household is a big fan in any way. So when sports begin to inconvenience my life it just REALLY HACKS ME OFF. I think that sports can be a good thing. Children can learn the advantage of team work and fair play...blah blah blah. But I just cannot understand these big sports obsessions. The pinnacle of this insanity are those instances when people riot and destroy things when their team wins. What the *bleep* is that about???

Anyway the point of this whole rant is that I've been inconvenienced and I'm truly miffed. On our many trips to and from St. Louis, we usually never make reservations. We just stop when we're ready to stop and find a hotel room - no big deal. My mom is much more of a planner and insisted that we book rooms. It's a good thing we listened to her. On the drive down, we normally stop in St. Joseph, Missouri, which is about an hour north of Kansas City. When I called to find a room I learned that there are NO rooms in the entire town, or anywhere within about 100 miles of Kansas City. We finally did find a room in some little tiny burg, and we are going to wind up paying $125 for a room that is normally $65 a night.

Why is this so??? (well you may ask)

NASCAR.

Oh my freakin' good grief. NASCAR???? Are you kidding me???

This offends me on so many levels. I'm sure there are plenty of wonderful people who are NASCAR fans. But come on. I can't imagine anything more boring than watching cars go 'round and 'round for hours on end. You either have to have the world's lowest entertainment threshold or you're some kind of evil jerk who is just hoping for a spectacular crash. It just isn't impressive to me. Oh wow - a bunch of professional drivers drove around. Assign a random few of the drivers to get loaded or having screaming kids in the car and THEN win the race - that would be impressive. Or maybe have a bunch of amateurs do it. Or use "real" cars that just break down randomly for no reason. NASCAR. *weeps*

I'm also including this paragraph from a post I did at the last Daylight Savings Time in October. I expect Dylan to come home early tonight!!

But hands down the funniest thing that happened this past week was from Dylan. He has a curfew of midnight on the weekends. At about 11:40 pm on Saturday night I get a phone call. "Hey Mom, doesn't that clock thing happen at midnight? I should get another hour." I never laughed so hard in my life. First I told him that the "clock thing" actually happens at 2 am, NOT midnight. I further asked him if he was willing to come home an hour EARLY next spring for the next clock thing. He said no. In any event, I felt he deserved points for creativity and for putting a smile on my face. He was allowed to stay out until 12:30.


8 comments:

suchsimplepleasures said...

mine aren't old enough, yet...they only go out if we do. but...i used to try that on my mom...and, she never let me have the extra hour!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the sports rant. The whole concept of adults being paid ridiculous amounts of money to PLAY just blows my mind!

I like your Daylight Savings Time story--Dylan is a smart cookie! LOL!

Tara R. said...

I love the DST curfew... sounds like something my teen would try. NASCAR... yep, total mystery to me too.

visiting via Scrolling Saturdays

Kristina said...

Love the curfew story. Nope, I'm not caring about Nascar.

pb&j in a bowl said...

I CAN'T STAND Nascar. What's the point?!? But, here in TN, I'm freakin' surrounded by fans.

Love the curfew story. Sounds like something I would have tried.

Momisodes said...

I can think of something more boring than Nascar...well maybe comes in close second- Golf! Good gravy, both can send me straight into a coma.

Love curfew post. Can't blame him for trying ;)

Anonymous said...

That was funny even the second time. I love it when you rant!

The curfew, hehehehehe.

Karen MEG said...

I too, do not get car races as a spectator sport, I mean watching them. Driving them maybe.

Great vent!

Oh Sh*t, thanks for reminding me I just lost another hour's sleep!