Why do women worry so much?
Maybe it's the brain-eating amoeba that seem to prefer children and boys. This is so dreadful - we live near water. But it seems this is mostly a problem in the warmer states. How awful for the families of these people.
****RANT ALERT****
I'm not a big sports fan. I don't mind a Broncos game now and then. I like ice skating. I used to follow tennis. But no one in the household is a big fan in any way. So when sports begin to inconvenience my life it just REALLY HACKS ME OFF. I think that sports can be a good thing. Children can learn the advantage of team work and fair play...blah blah blah. But I just cannot understand these big sports obsessions. The pinnacle of this insanity are those instances when people riot and destroy things when their team wins. What the *bleep* is that about???
Anyway the point of this whole rant is that I've been inconvenienced and I'm truly miffed. On our many trips to and from St. Louis, we usually never make reservations. We just stop when we're ready to stop and find a hotel room - no big deal. My mom is much more of a planner and insisted that we book rooms. It's a good thing we listened to her. On the drive down, we normally stop in St. Joseph, Missouri, which is about an hour north of Kansas City. When I called to find a room I learned that there are NO rooms in the entire town, or anywhere within about 100 miles of Kansas City. We finally did find a room in some little tiny burg, and we are going to wind up paying $125 for a room that is normally $65 a night.
Why is this so??? (well you may ask)
NASCAR.
Oh my freakin' good grief. NASCAR???? Are you kidding me???
This offends me on so many levels. I'm sure there are plenty of wonderful people who are NASCAR fans. But come on. I can't imagine anything more boring than watching cars go 'round and 'round for hours on end. You either have to have the world's lowest entertainment threshold or you're some kind of evil jerk who is just hoping for a spectacular crash. It just isn't impressive to me. Oh wow - a bunch of professional drivers drove around. Assign a random few of the drivers to get loaded or having screaming kids in the car and THEN win the race - that would be impressive. Or maybe have a bunch of amateurs do it. Or use "real" cars that just break down randomly for no reason. NASCAR. *weeps*
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
9.28.2007
One last post...
at
10:00 PM
Labels: Just Me Ranting, News
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Tasina, I'm so glad that you've gone back to random ranting occasionally. I just love your rants. I read them out loud to my husband, and add all the emphasis and sarcasm, and we laugh and laugh. I'm glad there's a you in the world to "bring a little joy into our humdrum lives" (bonus points to anyone who can name the movie.) Anyway, thanks for the parting gift before you left for the week. Have a ball. (You too Sioux Lady!) (Oh! and I totally agree about NASCAR. I LOVE sports, but just don't see the appeal to endlessly turning left.)
Hahaha, Tasina, have fun and come back safe. I don't get the cars going round and round real fast smashing into stuff once in awhile, either, but I'm over here thrilled about my Cubbies when I suppose baseball to some is just hitting a ball with a stick. I *do* hate when good TV shows are pre-empted by sports, like basketball. At least golf never seems to interfere with my life.
ROFL -- my best friend is from Boston, lives in New Hampshire now, and she is a huuuuuuuuge NASCAR fan. I don't get it, either, but to each his own. And I'm sorry you were inconvenienced, but I hope you have a lovely stress-free trip!
Post a Comment