I've had about 10 topics swirling around in my head for the past couple of days - let's see how many I can remember.
1. Brave
I just found out that one of my cousins is going back to the middle east for the third time. He was in the first Gulf war, went back after 9/11, and is heading back again. I have no desire to engage anyone in a political argument with this topic. I just want to tell the world that I am amazingly proud of him and fervently hope he comes back safely to his wife and two little boys.
2. Joe Exotic
On a wildly different note, we went to see a magician called Joe Exotic today. I've never actually been to a magic show before, so have no real reference point from which to judge this guy. I'll just say - not bad. Lots of loud noises and fake smoke - that was not fun. I only bring it up because this guy does what he does to support an interesting cause. Part of the show is very much aimed at kids. He talks quite a bit about saying no to drugs, drinking and driving, and not picking on people. On top of all that, this show is in support of the G.W. Exotic Animal Park. Apparently there are thousands of exotic animals in this country that get dumped after their idiot owners realize that owning an 800 lb. tiger that wants to eat children is NOT a great idea. So this park takes these animals and supports them. Something different on a Saturday afternoon.
3. Noah is scary
Did any of you see Toy Story? As I was typing the last section, Noah came up and asked me to "fix" his toy. He has this little guy that rides a motorcycle. For some reason, the arms and legs come off this guy. Noah wanted me to put the legs where the arms go and the arms where the legs go. Okay freaky Sid - no problem.
4. Chantix
Okay. I've kind of decided to start tapering off. I am no where NEAR as organized as Maggie so this is going to be totally haphazard. I am also not going to consult my doctor (there's me riding the ragged edge of disaster again). She already told me I could taper or just stop on my own when I felt I was ready. Here are my 2 reasons (one good and one stupid). One - I feel pretty good about my ability to resist smoking. I think I'll do okay. I think it will be HARD without Chantix, but okay. Two - I'm sick of taking 2 pills every day and can't remember to do it. I know that's just lame, but it's true. In the past week there were 3 days when I only had one pill because I forgot the morning dose. So I might as well switch over to one pill a day anyway. I'm going to do this with the bottle I have left (20 or so pills) and then re-evaluate. I SERIOUSLY doubt that I am going to go through the pill-splitting like Maggie did. I am way too disorganized (ok - lazy) to try that. I might try an every other day thing though. Stay tuned for updates.
5. The gays and the coloreds
(By the way I ***am*** willing to get into a political argument on this topic)
I recently had someone tell me "we didn't have 'the gays' when I was younger." At some other point in the conversation, the person mentioned, "the coloreds." I so badly wanted to say, "you had just as many of 'the gays' as you do now, but they saw how you treated 'the coloreds' back then and decided to stay out of your way." But I didn't do that. This person is of a certain age and it would have been a senseless argument. In the same set of circumstances I had someone tell me that a certain university should not have had to get rid of their Native American (these would be "the reds" I assume) mascot because "they had that mascot for so long." Ok. Sure. I've written about the mascot issue before. (Ha ha - that post has a picture of Noah with a pull-up on his head.) Anyway, I don't get too bent out of shape about mascots - it's very very low on my radar. But the whole set of conversations just made me a little sad. Maybe my generation and younger is messed up in a lot of different ways, but I do think we're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more tolerant (as a general rule). Sometimes this is not good in terms of being apathetic towards things, but mostly I think it's a good thing.
Okay, I remembered five of the maybe 10. That's fairly good for my head.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
10.13.2007
A bunch
at
7:57 PM
Labels: Chantix, Just Me Ranting, Quit Smoking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
OMG -- "the gays" and "the coloreds" -- I *so* grew up in your demographic! I had to yell at my dear Father-in-law about his choice of phrases 'way back when my daughter was a baby. I love "the gays" and "the coloreds". Maybe I love "the coloreds" because I grew up in the *deep* South. Maybe I love "the gays" because I'm also a theatre freak. Or maybe I just love those people cuz they rawk!!!!!
I would rather hang out with the fringe groups than with the narrowminded jerks who named them. ROFL!!!
Tasina, I have loved your blog since the beginning of August. You continue to totally rock!!!!!!! Thanks for posting five topics!!!!!
The "coloreds"?! Damn! I haven't heard that word in years (do people REALLY still talk like that in 2007?!). The first time I heard that word, a woman was talking to my mother about a "colored fellow". With my innocent 10-year-old eyes, I looked up at the woman and I asked: What color is he? I will never forget the look on that woman's face as she blushed a bright shade of the COLOR red! Priceless!
Love your haphazard tapering plan, Tasina! LOL! I've missed several p.m. doses in the last couple of weeks, so I feel the same way - I might as well just do one pill a day. But, I am working on a more organized plan for weeks 11 & 12... I do want my last few doses to be at the .5mg dose. That's the plan, but isn't there some saying about the "best-laid" plans? Oh, well, we'll see!
Good luck with your taper and continued success on your quit!!!
Awesome, Tasina. All kinds of goodies in there! I have a very gay friend that loves to joke about being one of "the gays," and I about fell over when a woman I know in her 70's chose that description as well. She also calls Asian people "Orientals" (things are Oriental, people are Asian). I try to understand that she's old enough to just not be bothered on keeping up with what's PC, and as long as I could tell that her heart wasn't being hateful, I let it slide. If I had kids that she would be around or was closer to her, I'd have to have said something, but she sounded OK with the idea that a relative of hers was "a gay," so I guess that's what counts. Maybe he can educate her that certain words in 2007 aren't the best choices if you don't mean to be offensive.
I'll be staying tuned on the Chantix taper! I wasn't sure if you'd stay on it longer or be ready to be off or what. I'm much more anal than I need to be, so that's the only reason my taper was what it was. In the end, we all wind up being off the Chantix and staying smoke-free, so that's what counts.
I didn't learn about the Oriental/Asian thing until waaaay late. I know that seems horrible, but keep in mind that until I went to college, I could count the number of Asian people I actually knew on one hand.
I really did think about saying something to the people who made these weird comments. But there would just ultimately be no point. The only other people these people ever see are just the same.
I try not to be a slave to PC things too much. But I also think there's no reason to be offensive when it takes so little effort on my part to NOT be that way.
Post a Comment