...here's what happened.
It was a bad couple of weeks culminating in a bad weekend leading to a bad morning. This is not an excuse - it just is what it is. In the throes of a tantrum (me??? a tantrum??? I know how shocked you all are, but stretch your imaginations ;), I bought a pack of cigarettes. Lovely lovely Winston's. I smoked one.
One.
It was such a bizarre experience. I suppose that my very first cigarette ever was similar, but I don't remember that far back (11? 12? 9?....I dunno). The first big lungful was just heaven - just a flood of sweet smoke and everything I had been missing.
BUT....
Then the taste. How can I describe this? 'Bottom of a shoe' is probably the closest I can get. It was so horrible. It just like coated the inside of my mouth and nose. Egaherblarghwerwyucky. The smell. Not good. All those times I walked by someone smoking and thought it smelled so good.....WRONG. It's one thing to walk by someone doing it....but it was in my nose and all around and just gross. Just holding the dang thing felt weird and foreign.
So then I cried, shredded the rest of the pack, and flushed it all down the toilet. Nothing too dramatic. Just a momentary lack of concentration. Or something similar to that.
The Quit Meter. Frankly, I'm sick of it. Tick tick tick. It just seemed to be mocking me. If I'm really a "non-smoker" why do I have to count up all my non-smoking days. Seems silly. I understand that for the Fill-in-the-blank Anonymous people there is some value to getting the monthly or yearly chips.
(Wait. Just a dang minute now. They don't give the Gambler's Anonymous people chips to celebrate the time gone by do they??? I'm not trying to be snarky or make fun...but seriously....what do those folks get??? Because a chip would be like a 30 days sober commemorative shot glass. Not good.)
Sorry - where was I? Quit meter. Ok so I'm sick of it and I'm not putting it back up. I know the date I quit - August 8. I'm unlikely to forget the date as it is a big day (and a month before my birthday).
Chantix. I took a pill after I smoked that cigarette and have not taken one since. There is no real reason for this. Other than maybe I'm somewhat sick of the whole process. This does not me that I'm sick of the other bloggers or the topic. Mostly I'm just sick of ME. I'm bored with me smoking, me quitting, me being tempted, me smelling smoke, me worried about smoking, me and insurance. There are lots of other things about me that I'm still totally fascinated with...but ME smoking or quitting...eh...not so much. Plus I think that obsessing about it just keeps it at the forefront of my mind. It's weird. For me.
*Whew* This is way longer than I intended. I still plan to keep up with all the other Chantix bloggers. Y'all are way too cool and interesting (and in the case of Ren's video - very cute ;) to not read. But I may just give the smoking/quitting topic a rest for a while. I'll still blog about the other things that catch my eye. If you want to stick around for that - swell. If not - also swell, may you live in interesting times.
:)
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
10.24.2007
So....
at
9:10 PM
Labels: Chantix, Just Me Ranting, Quit Smoking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Tasina, I'm glad that all is well, and believe it or not, I totally understand. Each of us has our own path - mine involves obsession with meters and days and writing and whatnot, but I can see why that could just make it all that much harder. I'm just glad that you are writing something, anything again, and as a bonus, I love it, too, that you are still not smoking for whatever reasons and by whatever means. Walk your journey, and I'll be reading along, even if you never say the word "smoke" or anything about any of it ever again. Because you are cool like that.
I think you are wise, Tasina, and I'm looking forward to seeing what catches your eye. :-)
G.A. marks milestones with keychains ...
Tasina, I'm with you all the way. All I'm hoping for is that you will still fight the addiction and that you don't disappear for too long. You're a totally cool person that is a pleasure to have around (the web, I guess).
As for the quitmeter, I figured it out the last time I quit a year ago...I also slipped up and it made me realize how pathetic the meter is. Maybe not so much at first.
Stay strong and keep fighting, no matter what, ok?
Post a Comment