This is such a weird story. Apparently Nike has developed a shoe specifically for Native Americans as "an effort aiming at promoting physical fitness in a population with high obesity rates." Turns out many of us have wide, tall feet and wasicu (that means "white" for all you wasicus out there) shoes don't fit us. (LOL - like it's my uncomfortable shoes that make me inhale frybread like it's going out of style...too funny!) Maybe we could get Levi Strauss to make short little dumpy jeans to fit our fat asses since we're going down this road. I guess I appreciate the effort (although at the end of the article it becomes pretty obvious this is kind of a branding/marketing/let's-make-ourselves-
look-nice-because-we-help-those-pitiful-Indians-that-everyone-ignores thing), but really. I have to admit that I do know a lot of chubby, wide- and tall-footed Native folk (ahem...me), but we're not ALLLLL like that. Why not Jewish shoes? Or African American gloves? Or Norwegian American lingerie? The whole concept is just bizarre to me. What if you're a Native-African-Norwegian Jew. What the hell would you possibly wear?
Here's the link if you're interested.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
9.26.2007
Ummmm
at
12:16 AM
Labels: Just Me Ranting, News
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
How pathetic!
Awesome! The nutty stuff never stops.
By Golly, I want Irish, German, Scottish, English, Native, Jewish pantyhose!! There's no room for a waist between my ribcage and my hipbones, and I have to cut the waistband on my pantyhose to keep from losing circulation. I'm sure that ancestry is to blame. Why isn't anyone thinking about my heritage and my clothing needs?!
Actually, I think making the shoes is great, if there's a need, but why can't they just market them to people who have wide, tall feet? I'm sure they know who they are, regardless of ethnicity.
I have a response to your Shoe issue!
Check out my post for Norwegians!
Post a Comment