"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

12.10.2006

I hate #$@(*&%!

Sorry to cuss. But the anti-smoking nazis are really getting out of control. And for alllllllll you folks who say it's just for health reasons - just wait. When the government starts legislating away your Twinkies or McDonald's or motorcycles or rollercoasters or whatever marginally unhealthy vice you have, you're not going to have a leg to stand on. These people are not going to be happy until we're all free-range alfalfa sprout eating, melted-iceberg water drinking, hydroponic crop munching, touchy-feely, Oprah-fied, inner-child fawning, wimpy, limpy hippies. Back off already. Read the depressing news here. My favorite line: "...characteristics of the theraputic state."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jerry Schaler!

Tasina said...

dang hippies anyway

Kat said...

Even though I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, yours is one of the funniest protests against over-legislation I've ever read. My "inner child" is still giggling.

Tasina said...

well....as long as you're not giggling with a bottle of melted iceberg water in your hand, you can still come to my blog :)

and by the way...if you're allergic to cigarette smoke, you might want to rethink visiting my mom...but i guess i should leave that for the two of you to hash out

Kat said...

Yeah, we've talked about that. What we'll do is bring our trailer to sleep in, and come in summer, so outside is an option. I have to deal with allergies all the time, and I just can't let them mean I never do anything I want. We're heading to Disneyworld in January, despite the allergic issues. Sometimes you just have to suck it up to have a little fun!! Believe it or not, I even have a filter mask for really difficult situations. We'll see how my health is as summer approaches, but we really want to make the trip.

BTW--No alfalfa sprouts, iceberg water, hydroponic crops, and especially no Oprah. And, while I'm in sympathy with the limiting public smoking to specific areas thing, because it makes it so much easier for me to go out in public, this whole concept of banning smoking at all, especially in people's own homes, really rankles the libertarian in me.

Tasina said...

sounds like your allergies can be a big problem...i'm only allergic to chlorine...so no swimming pools and all my white clothes are kinda dingy looking (just kidding - i wash them in bleach then redo the whole cycle with soap, kind of a pain)...