"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

12.06.2006

Happily Home!

Took a very long trip to Des Moines for work. Des Moines. Need I say more? I like Iowa, I like Iowans. My dad is an Iowan. But you folks have GOT to start providing more amenities for the unfortunate souls who must travel to and through your state. And put said amenities NEAR THE MAJOR ROADS!!!! After an absolutely wretched trip through Eastern Iowa a few years ago, my husband decided that the Iowa State Motto must be, "Iowa: Where Hospitality Is Somebody Else's Problem." Seriously people - put a fast food joint or a mom & pop cafe near the interstate - I know this is a stretch, but maybe think about having a public restroom at least every 30 to 60 miles. Not that South Dakota has all that much stuff, but we do have rest areas and towns - NEAR THE MAJOR ROADS. Are all you Iowans huddled off in a cornfield somewhere just waiting for the interlopers to drive away? I'm imagining this huge mecca of food, entertainment, and fun somewhere hidden in the dark hinterlands of Iowa - but it's not accessible by I-29 or I-80. Only Platinum Iowa Members can go there and eat, drink, void, and be merry.

Anyway, it was a long trip. I'm tired. But some interesting things happened with work, I had a nice dinner with my sister, and I reconnected with an old friend. Not a bad three days really. A word to the wise - Red Roof Inns do NOT have hair dryers in the rooms. This is an unhappy discovery to make at 5 am. They will provide one if you ask, but next time I'll bring my own. Off to my own bed finally!!!

No comments: