"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

7.18.2007

Tonsils, Geckel, and Nudists! (oh my)

In about 12 hours my older son is getting his tonsils out. I'm so worried about this. I know it's a fairly routine procedure. But still.....it's my BABY. I had mine out when I was 17 and it was horrible. Although I did lose about 30 lbs. in a month. So if you're looking for a drastic, one-time-only weight-loss plan: have some serious throat surgery. I'm sure Dylan will be fine, but I can guarantee I will not get much sleep tonight and will be a wreck until I can see him after the procedure. Even more fun is that Noah has to have this done in a few months.

The news is so ghastly today - plane crash, things exploding in New York, and some horrible child neglect thing. Since all of that has been covered and covered and covered, I will offer you some quirkier stuff.

Since we no longer have Kat for the science news, I give you "geckel." This is the newest kind of adhesive. Not too exciting until you start wondering if YOU can walk on walls.

We're almost all going to be fat
. But that's ok, because now they're going to make movies about us. Too bad "Hairspray" is a musical - can't stand 'em. I just can't suspend disbelief enough to buy into people just bursting into song. (Aside: My mom used to make up songs on the spot from the last word someone said. This bothered me to no end when I was a kid. When I was about 8, 9, 10? I said to her, "I bet you can't make up a song from ANY word you hear." She said she could. So I said, "Zebra." This is what she came up with: "I used to wear and A-bra and now I wear a Z-bra." This may have something to do with my dislike of musicals.)

But at least he won't get Parkinson's disease.

Reason 123,679,654,365,564,656 why I can't stand tree-people. Furthermore, there are some places on the body where frostbite is NOT GOOD YOU IDIOTS!!!!! Although...maybe it will limit their ability to breed....hmmm....strip away morons.

5 comments:

Kat said...

Thanks for taking up the science news slack! :-) There are so many potential uses for geckel that I'm thinking we need to hold a fundraiser to get the geckel wagon rolling on into store aisles soon. I haven't thought of what the angle should be yet, but I'm pretty sure it won't involve nudity and glaciers.

Just as an aside, Ked and Su and I are living proof that people do, indeed, burst into song at random and spontaneous moments, in three part harmony, frequently writing the lyrics on the fly, and even occasionally throwing in choreography to boot. Now, I grant you that strangers in the vicinity do not automatically know the words and steps and join in with reckless abandon - more commonly they try to pull their children away to a safe distance so that our "crazy cooties" do not defile them - but these unadventurous souls are mere bit players on the stage of life, and we disregard them. I admit that I am the greatest offender in the "bursting into song when others might find it inappropriate" category. I constantly find myself singing my way down store aisles, quite oblivious to the fact I'm doing it most of the time. When I do realize I'm putting on my own version of A Chorus Line, it never really bugs me. I just can bring myself to care what strangers think of me. I'm insecure as anybody else when it comes to what my friends think, but strangers have not yet earned the right to influence my opinions or behavior. All this to say, life really can be a musical, so give Hairspray a chance!

Kat said...

Oops. That should have read, "I just can't bring myself to care what strangers think of me." A bit confusing the other way!

Kat said...

Oh yeah, get well soon Dylan!

Anonymous said...

Kat! Glad to see The Alliance hasn't got you! Tasina: That is not a gecko. Geckos are green, talk with an Austrailian accent are funnier than hell! Would you believe that on my way home from the tonsil-aden-ectomy, I listened on PBS to almost an hour of an interview with the director/choreographer of "Hairspray!" I never saw the first one and, bleeeeeeeeech, have no interest in seeing John Travolta in "fat drag" in the re-make. Remind me when you get here tomorrow to share Kat's CD with you. Now that's music!

Tasina said...

I might actually pay to see Kat burst into song and dance through a supermarket (although I have to hope that you're not singing that one song from "A Chorus Line" - you know the one!!! And that's a musical that I do like - own it actually). But that's still different - it's interesting when a real person does it - still not a musical fan. I do like a handful of musicals, but the genre as a whole just isn't my cup of tea.