Dylan came through his tonsil surgery just fine. He's recuperating at his grandma's house (I don't blame him - I'd rather have her as a nurse than me!!). I'm sure he's going to be very sick of Jello and Popsicles very soon.
The American Film Institute has come up with an updated best 100 movies of all time. My comments are first, my husbands are in italics.
1. "Citizen Kane" (1941) - "Rosebud." It's ok. I'd never pick this as number 1. Agreed.
2. "The Godfather" (1972) This is a boy movie - I've never really cared for it. I don't like most gangster films.
3. "Casablanca" (1942) Great film - loved it. I wouldn't have this in my top 10.
4. "Raging Bull" (1980) Another boy movie. Like this one.
5. "Singin' in the Rain" (1952) A musical!! *shudder* Not a big musical fan.
6. "Gone With the Wind" (1939) Fantastic - love it, love the book. Well - yeah!
7. "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962) Fell asleep during this one - and I love O'Toole. Only saw it once, don't remember much about it - except the camel.
8. "Schindler's List" (1993) Amazing film - I cry every time. Very powerful film.
9. "Vertigo" (1958) Fantastic - what a thriller should be. All these so-called thriller directors should watch more Hitchcock films.
10. "The Wizard of Oz" (1939) I always found this kind creepy - flying monkeys! Everyone should watch this - I like it.
11. "City Lights" (1931) Haven't seen it. Never heard of it.
12. "The Searchers" (1956) Haven't seen it. Ditto.
13. "Star Wars" (1977) Love this movie - was obsessed with it as a girl. The first film I ever saw in the theater - love it to this day.
14. "Psycho" (1960) Creepy - not a favorite. Take it or leave it.
15. "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968) Phenomenal - wish I could see it on a big screen. This would be in my top 10.
16. "Sunset Boulevard" (1950) Haven't seen it. Ditto.
17. "The Graduate" (1967) One of my favorites - but kind of campy. Good film, but not one of my favorites.
18. "The General" (1927) Haven't seen it. Ditto.
19. "On the Waterfront" (1954) Not a Brando fan. One of the few Brando films I like.
20. "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946) Have never seen this from start to finish - but I've probably seen the whole thing in bits and pieces. I like it. Love Jimmy Stewart. This is a Christmas standard - and that's what made me sick of it.
21. "Chinatown" (1974) Bleh. Not a Nicholson fan.
22. "Some Like It Hot" (1959) Funny. One of my hubby's favorites. She's right.
23. "The Grapes of Wrath" (1940) Didn't like it or the book (and I love Steinbeck). Haven't seen it.
24. "E.T. -- The Extra-Terrestrial" (1982) Not a favorite of mine. Too sappy for me.
25. "To Kill a Mockingbird" (1962) Out of these 100, this would probably be my #1. Fantastic book and movie. Wouldn't be my number one, but is a really good film.
26. "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939) Okay. Ditto.
27. "High Noon" (1952) Haven't seen it. Good film.
28. "All About Eve" (1950) Haven't seen it. Ditto.
29. "Double Indemnity" (1944) Okay. Haven't seen it.
30. "Apocalypse Now" (1979) Yuck. Two hours of yawn and then he chops a guy's head off. Wow. (Duvall as a crazy guy is okay)
31. "The Maltese Falcon" (1941) Haven't seen it. Really good film.
32. "The Godfather, Part II" (1974) Boy movie. Bleh.
33. "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975) Can't even come close to how good the book is. Doesn't do anything for me.
34. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (1937) A classic. I played a dwarf in a play - this was too traumatic to make me like the movie. I was Sneezy.
35. "Annie Hall" (1977) Yuck. Big deal.
36. "The Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957) This would be in my top 10. Ditto.
37. "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946) Haven't seen it. Ditto.
38. "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (1948) Haven't seen it. Ditto.
39. "Dr. Strangelove" (1964) I like this one. This would be in my top 10.
40. "The Sound of Music" (1965) One of the maybe 6 musicals I like. Ditto.
41. "King Kong" (1933) Not a favorite. I like this one.
42. "Bonnie and Clyde" (1967) Didn't like it. Bores the hell out of me.
43. "Midnight Cowboy" (1969) Okay. Ditto.
44. "The Philadelphia Story" (1940) Haven't seen it. Ditto.
45. "Shane" (1953) This would be a good movie if it weren't for that annoying kid whining "Shane, Shane." Ditto.
46. "It Happened One Night" (1934) Haven't seen it. Ditto.
47. "A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951) Brando - no. Nah.
48. "Rear Window" (1954) Great movie. Ditto.
49. "Intolerance" (1916)Haven't seen it. Ditto.
50. "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" (2001) I just can't get into these movies. I don't get the point. This is one of the best trilogies I've seen.
51. "West Side Story" (1961) Musical! Bleh. Gangsters dancing? No.
52. "Taxi Driver" (1976) Yuck. I think this is pretty good.
53. "The Deer Hunter" (1978) Okay. Ditto.
54. "MASH" (1970) Yuck. You have to be into that era - I don't get it.
55. "North by Northwest" (1959) Amazing. Ditto.
56. "Jaws" (1975) Scary - great movie. "We're gonna need a bigger boat." Great line. Not great, but really good.
57. "Rocky" (1976) Bleh. I like the 1st one.
58. "The Gold Rush" (1925) Haven't seen it. Ditto.
59. "Nashville" (1975)Haven't seen it. Ditto.
60. "Duck Soup" (1933)Haven't seen it. Ditto.
61. "Sullivan's Travels" (1941)Haven't seen it. Ditto.
62. "American Graffiti" (1973)Didn't like it. Again - you have to be part of the era I think.
63. "Cabaret" (1972) Okay. Nah.
64. "Network" (1976) Love this one. Another great line - you know the one! Awesome.
65. "The African Queen" (1951) Fantastic - loved it. I like this one.
66. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981) Great movie. Ditto.
67. "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" (1966) Haven't seen it. Ditto.
68. "Unforgiven" (1992) Booooooooooooooooooooooooooring. What is so great about this movie????!!!??!???!??!??!!!
69. "Tootsie" (1982) Fantastic. Really good.
70. "A Clockwork Orange" (1971) Wonderful. So creepy that it's in my top 10.
71. "Saving Private Ryan" (1998) Didn't like this one that much - hubby loves it. She said it already.
72. "The Shawshank Redemption" (1994) Fabulous. Ditto.
73. "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (1969) Okay. Ditto.
74. "The Silence of the Lambs" (1991) Great. Here's a guy who DID pay attention to Hitchcock.
75. "In the Heat of the Night" (1967) Fantastic - amazing acting. Doesn't thrill me.
76. "Forrest Gump" (1994) Okay. Ditto.
77. "All the President's Men" (1976) Okay. Ditto.
78. "Modern Times" (1936)Haven't seen it. Ditto.
79. "The Wild Bunch" (1969)Haven't seen it. I think it's funny how Monty Python's take on this movie is about as bloody as the real movie.
80. "The Apartment" (1960)Haven't seen it. Ditto.
81. "Spartacus" (1960) Cheesy. Brilliant when made, but cheesy now.
82. "Sunrise" (1927)Haven't seen it. Ditto.
83. "Titanic" (1997)Cheesy - but good. Ditto.
84. "Easy Rider" (1969) Overrated. I don't get it.
85. "A Night at the Opera" (1935)Haven't seen it. Ditto.
86. "Platoon" (1986) Yuck. Okay for me on this one.
87. "12 Angry Men" (1957) Fantastic. Ditto.
88. "Bringing Up Baby" (1938) Haven't seen it. Funny. "Where's my intercostal clavical?" Funny.
89. "The Sixth Sense" (1999) Amazing. Ditto.
90. "Swing Time" (1936)Haven't seen it. Ditto.
91. "Sophie's Choice" (1982) Haven't seen it and didn't really like the book. Haven't seen it.
92. "Goodfellas" (1990) Boy movie - but I like this one. Not a fan.
93. "The French Connection" (1971) Good. One of the best car chases ever filmed.
94. "Pulp Fiction" (1994) Great. Ditto.
95. "The Last Picture Show" (1971)Haven't seen it. Ditto.
96. "Do the Right Thing" (1989)Bleh. One of the few Spike Lee films I like.
97. "Blade Runner" (1982) Bleeeeeeeeeeeeh. My husband loves this and I just don't get it. I think it's dark and boring and weird. And I think Harrison Ford ***IS*** a replicant. Yeah - I like this. She's so wrong. We're getting a divorce now.
98. "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (1942) Okay for a musical. I get that song stuck in my head all the time. James Cagney singing - come on....he's a gangster.
99. "Toy Story" (1995) Okay for a cartoon. It's a good film.
100. "Ben-Hur" (1959) Okay. Charleton Heston is one of the greatest actor's ever. (said very sarcastically in a hilarious Charleton Heston voice.)
We want to know....where is:
Giant?
Dr. Zhivago?
The Last Emporer?
Empire of the Sun?
Planet of the Apes? (This is Jeff's question - NOT MINE.)
Also, I wish there were more movies from when I was alive.
By the way, the links take you Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" reviews.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
7.22.2007
Tonsil update and AFI
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I was amazed that I had not seen 36 of what the AFI chooses as the top 100 movies. Many were made before I was born (1941) and being poor Reservation people, we didn't start going to movies until my late teens. The only other access we had were at the boarding schools were they showed movies maybe once a week. These were all movies designed to appeal to children - lotsa oaters and Abbot and Costello. However, only 11 of those I've not seen fall in to the "before my time" category. The other 25 unseen, I could have seen but chose not to do so on principal (any Vietnam War or anti-hero movie, e.g, "Easy Rider", or because I didn't like the actor (Sylvester Stallone) or the subject matter (e.g., "The Graduate") The AFI would have to pay me to watch those.
It puzzles me that "The Miracle Worker" didn't make the cut. That would seem to me to be right up the AFI's PC avenue.
Post a Comment