I hope you all are excited. We're starting a new feature here at Mobius. It's called "Quitting Smoking" or "How to Become a Raging B***h in One Week." Since most of the stuff I blog about is pure drivel, I have decided to chronicle my attempt to quit smoking. (Although it might be more interesting to have the poor souls that have to live with me chronicle what that's like - but they don't have blogs so you're stuck with me.) AND JUST FOR THE RECORD - IF I GET PARKINSON'S SOMEDAY I'M GOING TO BE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY ANGRY!!!!
Anyway, Chantix is a new prescription medication for those that are trying to quit smoking. It's supposed to suppress the desire for cigarettes. Here's how it works. For three days I take one white pill. Days 4 - 7 I take two white pills. On the 8th day (let there be Hell)....I mean....I quit smoking and start taking two blue pills. I then keep taking two blue pills a day until I'm all cured, or I kill someone. Let's all hope for the cure.
So I took one white pill today. Of course I have that hippie song in my head - "One pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small. And the ones your mother gives you don't do anything at all." (Mom - how funny is that??? It is a real song.) Whatever. Anyway, the pill gave me a faceache. Not really a headache because it was all in my cheekbones and forehead. (This lady I work with said that maybe I was turning into a unicorn. If my face hadn't been so painful I'm sure I would have found that really funny.) I took an Aleve and that seemed to work. I tried doing this a few years ago with Wellbutrin and it also gave me a bad headache. Hopefully I'll get used to this one and the headaches will stop.
This drug is also supposed to help with the ritual aspect of smoking. This is something that I don't think non-smokers understand. It's more than just the addiction to the nicotine - it's the ritual of the whole process. After I eat, I light up. First thing when I get in the car - I light up. Also, I'm a fidgety person anyway. I play with my hair, I doodle, I tap my fingers. Smoking gives me something to do with my hands. I better get some Silly Putty. But the makers of this medicine claim that it helps not only with the cravings but with weaning you from the ritual aspect of it. Maybe that's why it's called Chantix. Maybe I'm supposed to chant my way out of this. *Note to self - run out and buy a CD of chanting Tibetan monks*
I suppose I should address the why of this. Well - duh - it's bad for me. It's bad for my kids. It's stinky. It's EXPENSIVE. I have this loosely formed plan for the next few years - get out of debt, advance at work, lose some weight (before my 20 year high school reunion in 2010), quit smoking, etc. Might as well get going on a couple of these, right?
So we'll see how it goes. I hope the headache doesn't happen again tomorrow. It was really weird. I never get headaches in my face. I never even get sinus headaches or anything like that. The post next Monday (quit day) should be really interesting. I'll try very hard to do a post every day. If you never hear from me again after next Monday - maybe check the papers! :)
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
7.23.2007
Chantix - Day 1
at
9:50 PM
Labels: Chantix, Quit Smoking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
When Ked's boss was quitting his four-pack-a-day habit he replaced the cigarette ritual with the gum ritual. Every time he would have normally reached for a cigarette he reached for the gum instead. Sometimes he ended up with more than one piece in his mouth at a time, but the transference seemed to help. I must admit to being very grateful to his boss for quitting. Being allergic myself, Ked's and my ritual for a decade or so was "Ked walks in the door and immediately hits the shower, while I promptly put the day's clothes in the washing machine." It saved us a lot of money on our water bill once he started coming home smelling of Doublemint instead of smoke. I'm sure it didn't hurt his boss' bank account either. I can't believe what a pack of cigarettes costs these days! Anyway, I wish you well in your efforts, and will be reading your updates with interest.
Congratulations on Dylan's successful surgery by the way, and on scoring the grandma-care for the recovery. (You're a really good egg, Sioux Lady. I hope they all tell you that often.)
I do chew a lot of gum at work. Sunflower seeds help at home too. But I do start to worry about "replacing" addictions. I buy sugarless gum, but all that sodium from the seeds probably isn't all that great for me either.
Post a Comment