"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

3.07.2007

Tasina Appleseed...or how I learned to hug a tree

Oh the things we do for love. I got into a mostly joking argument with a dear relative about the environment. I have pledged to plant a tree in her honor when she is no longer with us. And not just plant the thing, but take care of it, and even replace it if it dies. (It's hard to grow trees in Siberia...er....South Dakota.) I draw the line at talking to the damn thing, although I may offer a word or two to her as I lovingly tend to my new plant.

But let's get one thing straight - I don't HATE the environment. It's environmentalists I have a problem with. Especially nutty, tree-hugging, people-hating, hypocritical, mis-informed, dogmatic environmentalists. Mr. Gore and his ilk present their argument as incontrovertible fact, when the FACT is they are presenting an argument. And any argument has at least two sides. I've had all the green propaganda and like any thinking, rational creature should do, I went out and looked for some other viewpoints. I'm not a scientist - I don't just *know* these things. I read "Trashing the Planet" by Dixie Lee Ray, I read "In A Dark Wood" by the guy that wrote it (can't think of the name right now), I've researched the issue (goodness, I'm starting to sound like Tom Cruise on a rant against psychiatry). But the truth is the tree people are being glib.

Global warming is NOT a fact. It's a theory...and not even a very well-built theory at that. Should a person CHOOSE to subscribe to that theory - fine. But don't make ME subscribe to it. Don't make me switch all my light bulbs to low-wattage just because YOU think I should. (I read an article on this very proposal in California recently but don't have the link handy.) I've seen the argument for global warming and I've seen the argument against. In MY mind, I find the latter to be more credible. Does this mean I burn tires in my backyard? Drop diapers out of car windows? Leave all my lights burning madly day and night? Of course not. Nor would I recommend that anyone do so. More importantly, I'm not trying to legislate my beliefs onto anyone else.

Anyway, I've spent way more time on this topic than I ever planned. Honestly, I find it all kind of boring and unimportant in the grander scheme of things. Beyond a few humorous jabs at the tree people, there's nothing much about environmentalism that interests me at all. 'Nuff said!

I was going to put up another recipe, but all my shows are coming on. Ha! I'll try to get one up tomorrow.

Peace, love, and greenhouse gases to you all! :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Kat's take on the global warming scam - especially the part about actually we'd be in a new ice-age if we weren't pumping all those carbons into the air. Hee hee.

Tasina said...

I saw that. Maybe I will burn some tires.

Kat said...

Hear, hear. Let's burn tires all around!! (Oh, wait. I'm sure I would be allergic.) However, I'm betting South Dakota winters make the notion of an increase in greenhouse gases rather attractive, so maybe you could make it a regional event. ;^)

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, yesterday the only thing warm in my house was the extremely tasty tomato, artichoke, onion and garlic "sauce" concocted from a recipe you, my dearest niece, posted herein. I liked it alright, however, you cousin Kenzie ate two heaping helping and pronounced it delicious. Love-AS

Tasina said...

Glad SHE liked it anyway!

Anonymous said...

Check this out at Powerline. http://www.powerlineblog.com/ Scroll to "What the man said."

Tasina said...

Sioux Lady - really interesting link. And just so you know....most blogs (especially big ones like Powerline or Michelle Malkin) have "permalinks" to each entry. Mine has it too. That means that each entry has it's own dedicated web page. So what you can do is click on the permalink (or, in my case, click on the title of the specific entry) and it will take you to a page that just has that entry. Then you can give someone that specific link and they don't have to scroll through a whole page. FYI

Tasina said...

So you gave me - http://powerlineblog.com/

But you could just do this - http://powerlineblog.com/archives/016983.php

and it gives me a direct link to that specific post. See?

Anonymous said...

WHATEVER!?!?!?!