"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

3.10.2007

F L U

So now my little boy has Influenza A and strep throat. The poor kid is a wreck. I HATE when little kids are sick. They feel so bad and they don't know why. I would give anything to be able to take all his sickness and have it be me who feels bad. He's being such a trooper and so brave. He can always manage a smile, a kiss, and a hug - even when he feels bad. I love that kid so much it just hurts. Luckily I have a wonderful mother who is going to come down on Monday to stay with him so we don't have to miss a bunch of work. THIS is why we moved back to this state. My mom is so great.

Now on to a big rant.

Apparently, no insurance company will pay for Tamiflu, the anti-viral medication. The doctor prescribed it for my son and for everyone else in the household. It's not a cure, but it can ease symptoms and help prevent others in the house from getting the flu. It make absolutely no sense to me that insurance will not pay for this. They consider it "optional" treatment. But wouldn't it be better for the rest of us NOT to get the flu? Wouldn't it cost the insurance companies (and our employers) MORE money if we all get really sick?!?!?!!??!?! Senseless. But since we're dealing with an industry that sees no problem paying for Viagra, yet balked for years at paying for birth control - I guess we're not dealing with any kind of logical thinking. The insurance won't even pay for the Tamiflu for Noah and HE ACTUALLY HAS THE FLU. Dumb. This stuff costs $78 for each person. So $78 x 4 people in my family = $312. Nice.

Send your best wishes to the little guy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear niece - sorry to hear about Noah's illness. Remember, you could possibly get the tamiflu from IHS and have to pay for only one shot, Jeff's. It might be worth a trip up here the next time. But, I suppose you already tried that. My very best wishes are sent to "the little guy." Love-AS

Kat said...

Are things improving on the home front? I hope that Grandma brought the cure with her, and your little guy is feeling better. Ked and I know so many people who have been sick this year with things that have hit hard and stayed long, and frequently required anti-biotics. It must be Global Warming.

Best wishes to the little guy, and also that you and your Mom, and the rest of your clan stay healthy.

Tasina said...

Global Warming!!!! That's it!!! I'd better call Al Gore. He can add that to his movie.

The little one is much better and he wore his gram out! He really loves her and she has a great time with him, but he is quite a handful.