Well since all of my readers how now officially registered complaints, I'd better dang well post something new!! But first, let me offer some (lame) explanations:
1) It was the holiday season - how much work did YOU get done?
2) I ended my old job and started a new job - busy busy!
3) My modem freaked out and died and we had to get a new one.
4) Other than people dying (Brown, Ford, Hussein) not a heck of a lot caught my eye.
5) I'm just terrible at this - which I believe I explained a few posts back
6) All of the above.
One really interesting news article did actually catch my eye a couple of days ago. Since one of my readers (MOM) complained about links with no explanation, here's a brief summary. These parents had their severely handicapped daughter's growth stunted to keep her physically small in order to make it easier for them to care for her at home. You'll have to go read this and tell me what you all think. I find myself siding with the parents. It's a difficult question, but I'd love other opinions.
This story about infant car seats really hacked me off. We have spent so much money on these things and they probably weren't any good anyway.
Here's a way to get free instruction from MIT. I can't do basic algebra, but this might be fun for someone. The article raises some interesting thoughts about the future of education.
I love my cats, but this just seems COMPLETELY INSANE!!!! (and slightly unsanitary)
Finally, here's a late picture that I should have posted on Friday.
Oh, by the way - I went to a movie today called "The Holiday." I really liked it. Good, light romantic comedy.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
1.06.2007
So Sorry Saturday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Hey Tasina,
It's good to see you respond so well to pressure!! :-) I'm just popping by to say thanks for the interesting comment on the "citizenship for sale" article. Good points, all. Of course, this led me to writing a book of my own in response, which is the first writing I've done on my own blog for a few days, making my complaint that you haven't been writing enough rather humorous.
I've been in kind of the same place as you. Nothing really has caught me eye in the last few weeks, just random things here and there. Hopefully that will pick up, because I do enjoy finding interesting things to read, and to share. Looks like you've come up with a few, so I look forward to perusing them, especially the one about intentionally stunting the child's growth to be better able to take care of her. That sounds like a really challenging question. Makes me think about how many more difficult ethical and moral questions we are going to face as science continues to press into the unknown, giving us options we never could imagine now.
Hey, did you see my attempts at mutant deer handles? Anything work for you?
So . . . that's why I'm barely 5 feet tall! I hate those car seats and the nanny state they rode in on. I think the picture wants a caption. My entry: "I'd be happy, too, if my cap were color coordinated with my shirt."
After reading the article on the parents who had the growth of their child stunted to make it more possible for them to care for her as she gets older, I was just so grateful it wasn't me having to make that choice. How terribly conflicting for her parents. Parents by nature want to nurture their kids, and see them grow up big and strong, but in this case, I can sympathize with the desire to keep her small enough to make caring for her more manageable, and hopefully keep her from suffering from some of the problems that plague bed-ridden adults. One question I had was whether anyone knows what the long-term health effects of such surgery are for the child? Will other body systems struggle in the future because her body was not allowed to mature properly? I came away from the article not having a clue what the right decision would be, but I certainly wouldn't condemn the parents for the decision they made. Without the gift of prophecy, or a really high-end crystal ball, or a whole lot of hind-sighted medical data, who could honestly say that the parents' decision was wrong?
BTW Congrats on the new job!! I hope it's going well.
About the parents who surgically altered their child:
I am absolutely appalled by the "reasons" through which the parents have given for putting their child through this surgery!!! I currently work with a child that has Static Encephalopathy as well as a child that has CHARGE syndrome. I cannot imagine believing that the only option they have is to "slice and dice" their daughter up so she would not go through normal biological changes. I think of the two boys I care for and I know that "Where there is a will there is a way". These days you don't have to put your child in an institution or give up your parental rights to have your child recieve services from outside agencies. There is a whole new perspective on what, even the most disabled child, can and does contribute to society. They may not become millionaires, Oprah, the president, or Donald Trump. What they do is teach diversity, compassion, patience, and true undeniable love! My ultimate question to these parents is..."Who will take care of that child when you are gone?" I am a true believer in needing an entire village to raise your children. If they have surgically altered her for their convenience,and this is okay with the courts, then why shouldn't we go back to the days when we castrated those with mental illness and disabilities...Because they have human rights and their own "Bill of Rights" designed just for them.
Here are a few of their government given rights!
(A) make informed choices and decisions about their lives;
(B) live in homes and communities in which such individuals can exercise their full rights and responsibilities as citizens;
(C) pursue meaningful and productive lives;
(D) contribute to their families, communities, and States, and the Nation;
(E) have interdependent friendships and relationships with other persons;
(F) live free of abuse, neglect, financial and sexual exploitation, and violations of their legal and human rights; and
(G) achieve full integration and inclusion in society, in an individualized manner, consistent with the unique strengths, resources, priorities, concerns, abilities, and capabilities of each individual
AAAAAHHHHHHH!!! I have to reign myself in at this point or the next thing you'll know, I will be blogging on your site Tasina!!!
Post a Comment