"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

4.17.2008

Art

Here are 13 paintings that I love.

  1. Edward Hopper, Nighthawks
  2. Diego Velazquez, The Waterseller of Seville (Please click on this for the larger version and look at the water on the side of the jug - amazing.)
  3. Edward Hopper, Lighthouse at Two Lights
  4. Johannes Vermeer, Woman Reading a Letter
  5. Johannes Vermeer, The Guitar Player
  6. Leonardo da Vinci, Female Head
  7. Vincent Van Gogh, Almond Blossom
  8. Vincent Van Gogh, Starry Night
  9. Mary Cassat, Breakfast in Bed
  10. Andrew Wyeth, Master Bedroom
  11. Claude Monet, Water Lilies
  12. Sandro Botticelli, Primavera
  13. Ok I'm cheating. This is a sculpture. Michaelangelo, Pieta.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are a classy girl! I'd never seen Almond Blossom, but I love it.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

What a great idea for a TT! I have very eclectic tastes, so this would be fun to come up with. I had never seen the Almond Blossom painting either...I really, really like that one!

Kat said...

Lovely choices. I remember seeing Starry Night at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Most of the things in that museum were not to my taste, but Starry Night made me stand with my mouth open (literally at times) for half an hour. I had no idea from the pictures I'd seen how much depth, dimension and intensity there was to that painting. Truly breathtaking. I think it would be a worthy pursuit to track down all your other picks and make pilgrimages to see them as well. So much culture to one little list. :-)

Kaige said...

I love Master Bedroom by Wyeth. So homey and cozy with the dog. Great list!

Julie said...

All is right with the world. We are the same person. I love Nighthawks, Starry Night is the skin on my iPod, Monet is stunning -- I saw the largest collection ever (at least back then) of Monet paintings in Chicago. It was stunning and breathtaking.

Michelangelo is stunning. Breathtaking. Awesome. I saw the Pieta and the Sistine Chapel last month, and I got chills.

Great list...and now I am off to search for new posters of these artists for our big frames.

Neen said...

Love your taste. Great choices.

Momisodes said...

I agree with the others. You do have superb taste. When I was a little girl I would stare at a Nighthawks poster in my room and imagine myself in a corner cafe at night in NYC :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post !

Konstantin said...

mmmmmm....love claude monet!! I actually went to his exhibit while I was in Moscow that one time in my life... his technique really stands him out!

one of my favs is "Scream" by Edvard Munch...here's the link if you have no idea what that is link

Anonymous said...

Nighthawks is one I have seen many times on posters. It's thrilling. I also love the use of light in the Dutch ones. Thanks for pointing out the water dripping down the side of the jar in the Velasquez. As you say: amazing!

Author said...

You have great taste! I'm particuarly fond of Van Gogh, da Vinci, and Monet myself.

MP said...

I'd never seen Almond Blossom either..and I LOVE IT..
Great 13~!

Julie said...

I forgot to mention in my last post -- i really like Zach's tattoo. It's just freaky that it's permanent.