I think this is my 13th Thursday Thirteen. It's either that or I was typically lazy about my post labeling and this is just the 13th one that has a lable on it. Whatevs dude. 13 x 13 makes a cool post title so I'll justify it any way I can. A couple weeks ago I posted 13 possible TT topics. Yeah I'm not going to use any of those because they seem like too much work and it's late and I don't want to do it. Next week I'll do the favorite paintings - I just don't want to look them all up right now. Someone was recently telling me that they want to know more about me. So here are 13 random things about me - some of these you all have seen before, but some will be new.
- I am terrified of storms - specifically, tornados. I'm sure this is all related to my control-freak tendencies, but I just hate storms. I deal with them just fine, but I will never ever like them.
- I just got a promotion and a raise because I rock. ;)
- I'm a cat person. I've had dogs, but I could go the rest of my life without having another one. A dog is too much work...it's like having a kid that never grows up. (Cringing at what my other self, Julie, is going to have to say about this one.) A cat is more like a plant that moves around. Although I kill plants. But I have managed to keep two cats alive for 10 years.
- I am a complete pop culture junkie. I love it. I'll read trash magazines, watch I Love the Whatever Decade on VH1, read Perez Hilton, you name it. Not the loftiest of pursuits, I admit it. But is does make for some mildly amusing escapism.
- I bite my nails. I have done since I was a tiny girl. I've used that bitter nail polish to quit any number of times, but I always go back to it. Years ago, back when I still smoked, it really offended this lady that I worked with. She said I could either smoke OR chew my nails, but not both. She said that was way too much oral fixation. So I tore the eraser off her pencil with my teeth.
- I feel like I should be collecting something. Like it will make me a real grown up to have a collection of Hummels or dolphin figurines or stamps from around the world or cobalt glassware or something. But I don't do it. I guess I collect books and movies. I have about 1,000 books and two big binders full of movies. Does that count?
- I think I'm kind of crappy driver. We can't all be good, right? It's not that I'm a BAD driver, but I'm a timid driver. I hate traveling on interstate highways. And people hate to be behind me because I drive slow. A semi passing me makes me want to cry. Again - control freak. I trust myself completely, it's all those other idiots that make me nervous. I really don't like to drive fast or ride in a car that's being driven fast. I have nowhere to be that is that dang important. I'm not transporting life saving organs, I'm not getting the message to the troops that the British are coming, and only one time in my life did I have a laboring pregnant woman in my car.
- One time I had a laboring pregnant woman in my car. I blogged about this before I think. I was 16 and my 19 year old cousin was overdue. So the genius powers that be in our family decided that they would send her off with me on a road trip through barren, empty, western South Dakota to see a specialist. Why not? How perfect!! Who better than to handle a complication than 16 year old me??? We got about an hour and half down the road when it all went to hell. Little did we know that a first baby would take DAYS to come. I don't even like to think of the traffic laws I violated, chewed up, spit out, and left in my blazing wake. The whole way back she kept apologizing to me because she was just certain her water was going to break on my car seats. I believe I responded with, "Shut up!!! Just breathe or something. DON'T PUSH!!" or something equally wise and helpful. This was almost 19 years ago. Happy Bday Ash! (Thanks for waiting until we got to the hospital.)
- I have issues with food textures. I love the flavor that mushrooms give to things and use them in tons of things that I make. But I have to mince them up and they have to be cooked. I would never ever bite into a fresh mushroom. I also can't stand raw tomatoes. I love tomato soup, tomatoes in soup, etc. But I will pick fresh tomato off my hamburger or taco or whatever. Carrots are the opposite. I really do not like the texture of cooked carrots, but I will eat raw carrots all day long. I know this is weird.
- I can't sew at all. I'll make clumsy attempts at buttons, but they always look a little weird and even though I know deep down inside that I don't need to use the whole spool of thread, I just can't seem to stop myself. I tried to teach myself how to knit, but...ummm...no, that didn't work and I can't believe I didn't lose an eye.
- I never wear any jewelry and don't know the first thing about accessorizing. I completely admire women who can do this, but I am not one of them. Most of my clothes are black or other dark solid colors so they all kind of match and are maybe vaguely slimming (so I've heard). I'm sure there are all sorts of other things I would look really cute in, but I don't even know where to begin with it. And mostly, I'm ok with this. At the very least, I look presentable if not fashionable.
- I really hate cartoons. I blame this solely on Dylan and Disney. They kept churning out those movies and he kept watching them obsessively over and over and over and over again. Sure I've seen some cute or funny or witty things. Charlie the Unicorn comes to mind. But if I never see another animated thing again in my entire life, I will be completely ok with that.
- I can wiggle my ears.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participant
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participant


14 comments:
You are hilarious, and this was one of your funniest. I don't even know where to start, but the eraser moment had to have been priceless. I also can't sew, love cats, kill plants, have no jewelry/fashion sense and drive really slow and careful but call it being a good driver and the other assholes crappy drivers. Come drive here any day.
I can't wiggle my ears, but I so deserve a raise. So glad you got yours!
nice to know you better :D
Visit my T13 : What I want..... Thanks.
#13 wins it for me :-)
Hilarious, as always. I too, am a cat person -- they're so much nicer than dogs, eh?
You can wiggle your ears? Cool! I was reading your "poop" story -- I sure feel sorry for you there! My oldest decided one day to paint her room in it when she was supposed to be napping ... that was NOT fun.
You are just SOOOO cool...
Wiggle your ears..I'm SO jealous!
Raise and promotion..yes..you rock!
I'm with you on the mushroom texture..
Congrats on #2!
Very interesting list.
I had fun visiting your TT.
Mine is at The Cafe.
Hope you'll drop by.
#1 - I hate wind and earthquakes. I love lightning storms.
#2 - yay! and yes you do.
#3 - this is just wrong. And cats hate me. I think they sense how dog person I am. I had a dog that was 16 years old, and all he did was sleep. It was like having a cat, maybe, and it was boring.
#4 - I couldn't care less about celebrities. But I still get sucked into trash tv sometimes.
#5 - hahahahahaha. I also annoy and offend people who have no sense of humor, and those who tell me things for my own good.
#6 - Yes, that counts...I have over 1,000 books and dozens of DVDs -- you are me. I have a bunch of religious icons from all over the world and from many religions. My favorite is the glow in the dark Jesus. But it is not a collection. It's just a bunch of cool (and/or very tacky) art.
#7 - If we are ever in a vehicle together, you have to drive. I lived in Europe for too long, and got rather aggressive tendencies for speed and merging. But I am a careful speed demon...
#8 - um. Never taken a pregnant laboring woman in my car. What were they thinking?
#9 - I so cannot eat oatmeal or rice pudding strictly because of the texture. Whew. We are the same person.
#10 - I can't knit. But I can sew and bead and crotchet and scrapbook and take photographs and do other stuff. I hate sewing on buttons. I know it takes like two minutes, but it just seems like such a huge chore.
#11 - I don't wear black. I live in the desert. Wearing black is like telling the sun you want all moisture in your body to be vaporized. But my favorite sweater is a black v-neck, and I wore it repeatedly in Italy. I feel naked without my watch and this stretchy band with a pirate charm my kid didn't want, but I rarely can be bothered with necklace and earrings.
#12 - There are a few Cartoon Network cartoons I watch with my kids. But I spend their tiny years forcing them to listen to grown-up music and smart shows, because I hate cutesy so very very much. Thor's favorite song when he was two was Bette Midler's version of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy.
#13 - the forehead thing.
I made this into my TT, with links back to you of course.
I don't bite my nails. I prune them with my teeth.
Congrats on the promotion!
This has to be one of the greatest list of randoms, evah! OMG at having someone labor in your car...at 16! I probably would have handled it far worse. Like telling her to cross her legs! I'm the same was about storms, I agree about dogs being too much work, and I also never wear jewelry (except my wedding rings).
Loved reading these about you!
#9... love the flavor of mushrooms, can't eat one. The texture is like hot erasers to me... just. can't. chew. EWWWWwww.
Congratulations on your job promotion! (I used to be a nail biter too.)
Thanks for stopping by Splash*. :~D
1. I used to want to be a tornado chaser (yes, even before I saw the movie). I still kind of do.
2. Congratulations on the promotion and raise!
3. Me, too. Dogs are sweet, but just so... drooly.
4. I LOVE the "I Love the" shows! Besides, I think pop culture is underrated. I find it fascinating from a sociology perspective to look at what is popular and why that might be at any given time.
5. "Way too much oral fixation?" What the hell is that about, and what the hell business is it of hers? That lady obviously had issues that were way worse than oral fixations.
6. Collections = just more things to dust.
7. Me, too.
8. That's not one that I've experienced.
9. YES! I've been known as SUCH a picky eater, and 90% of the time it has nothing to do with taste.
10. I love you and the button thing. That's priceless.
11. Jeans and t-shirts. I hit my tomboy phase in college and never looked back.
12. I was just thinking the other day about how jaded I've become when it comes to kids movies. Of course, I had just seen a Bee Movie, and I THINK it was worse than usual. But I remember going to see Lion King and Aladdin in theaters before I had kids, I loved Disney so much, and now it's all I can do to sit through them.
13. You totally win at life.
Awesome Thursday 13.
Great T13!
I can sew. You're not missing much. People catch on that you can do it and all of a sudden you're making them curtains, sewing on patches, fixing clothing, making their kid's Halloween costume and then it's no longer fun anymore.
Post a Comment