"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

12.04.2007

Swell Time

I tried to go back to work today. By 2:30 my knee had completely ballooned up and hurt like a....thing that hurts bad. I was not a happy camper. I had to come home and elevate it and put the evil cryo cuff back on. I've had many jobs I didn't really like and taken classes that were mind-numbingly boring and would have PAID for a reason to stay home at those times. So now when I have a job I do like, people I like to work with, a ton of stuff to do....of course this happens. I was able to do some stuff from home. It's just frustrating. I even called my mom and had a tantrum over the phone. Bleh.

I have to see the surgeon tomorrow. I wonder if he's going to take out the staples. I have 14 staples covering 3 incisions. Noah has been wildly curious about the staples. He first wanted to know if they hurt (they don't). He then wanted to know if I would have them forever (I'd better not). When I told him that the doctor would take them out he wanted to know if THAT would hurt (I don't think so) and if it would bleed (maybe). I was worried that he would find my leg scary or upsetting - but he's cool with it all. He's mostly curious. I almost wish I could take him with me when I get them out. Is that creepy? (Kat???) Maybe I'll save one for him.

I'm reading a very strange book called "The Time Traveler's Wife." I think I like it. I really like the idea of time travel. This book is kind of messing me up though. The wife of the title meets her husband when she's 6 and he's....I don't know...way older. She keeps meeting him throughout her childhood/teen years. Then they "really" meet when she's 20 and he's 28. But as he gets older he goes back to visit her when she's younger. Ok. Well he would not have done that in the future if he had not met her and married her at 28 right? But SHE would not have loved and married him at 20 if she had not known and loved him since she was 6. Right? I don't know. I'm not sure that it matters ultimately. One thing I do like about the book is that it's about people my age in my time. Does that make sense? The wife character was born in 1971 and grows up liking the same music and movies as me. While there are tons of books in many time periods that I love, it's kind of nice to read something truly contemporary once in a while. Maybe reading "older" books is the only way we ever time travel. Who are we and where are we when we read those?

4 comments:

Konstantin said...

Ooooh! That's a good book! I heard of it before, and meant to read it but somehow the book slipped my hands (or mind, more likely). How about your review AFTER you finish the book?! >:-O Totally want to hear what you think of it then.

maggie said...

I'm sorry about the swelling thing, especially since you actually seem to want to be at work - sign of a decent job, definitely.

The book sounds interesting, especially like you said with characters our age.

Julie said...

That book took me forever to read...I liked it, but I couldn't read it for an hour or two at the time, the way I can with most books. Plus I think I read a couple other books while reading that one.

I liked it, but it was kind of I dunno not disturbing really, but disturbing. I cannot explain. Unsettling, maybe. I think that's why it took me so long to finish it.

I totally think you should save a staple for Noah. That will give you cool mom status for weeks (I personally would be shamelessly exploiting it..."remember I gave you the staple," "your friends' moms would never do something like save a used surgical implement for you," stuff like that.)

Of course, I also hurl my children into cages and only let them out to make me rich chocolately desserts...(Readers of Tasina's comments...I don't lock my children in cages. She just thinks I do. Perhaps it's the pain meds...)

Just kidding, Tasina. You thought I locked my kid in a cage way before the knee surgery.

Anonymous said...

Is it really sick that I would probably let Noah come see the doc take the staples out of your booboo, if he was interested? I figure that when kids are curious is when you let them learn things, and besides, seeing you toughing it out through a major injury might keep some of his own skinned knees in perspective for him! Of course, this might be why God never gave me children... :-)