"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

12.01.2007

Snow

We're getting our first snowfall today. It looks really pretty from my perch on the couch. I'm not looking forward to dancing around in it with my crutches, but I'll just have to make do. Actually, by the time I go anywhere on Monday this will probably all be gone. Jeff took Dylan out for his first drive in snow. That's upsetting. I can just HEAR the gray hairs springing out of my head. I guess he did ok - I don't really want to know. We're supposed to get 3 to 5 inches. The first snow is always kind of scary. You have to remember how to drive in it and walk on it and all that. The summer makes it easy to forget.

I was supposed to wait until Monday to take a shower, but I couldn't stand it anymore. My hair felt like it had been dipped in Crisco. I didn't get my incisions wet so I think I'm ok. I think I needed the psychological boost of being clean and dressed and sitting up. Stewing in my own stink was just making me depressed. I feel way better now.

The pain is not nearly as bad as yesterday. In fact, I haven't taken a pill of any kind at all today. It only hurts if I put any pressure on it. It's really hard to explain. And it doesn't hurt anywhere near the knee itself - but down by my ankle. I know that doesn't make any sense - but I think that's where the nerve endings come back to life. My harvested hamstring is a little sore too.

A friend of mine who I know reads this blog from time to time is getting married today. I really wanted to be there for it, but there's just no way.

S - He's a lucky guy and I wish you all the happiness in the world!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a happy thing to be clean. I'm so jealous of your snow. We actually got a tiny bit of snow today, but ours didn't stick. Wah.

I'm glad the pain level has gone down. As a safety note, though, maybe you should let the snow melt before you hobble out of doors with your crutches, especially if you have to tackle those stairs again... :-)

Tasina said...

I don't *have* to go out until Monday afternoon. I have another PT appointment then. I'm also planning to go back to work on Tuesday.

Julie said...

I am glad the pain is getting better. And you really do feel better when you have showered, don't you. I remember sitting in the shower in the hospital when I had a concussion, just so relieved to be clean (and not throwing up. I threw up alot when I had that concussion. Threw up and slept. Good times.)

I am so NOT looking forward to my boys driving in the snow in Anchorage next year...I know it's a very important skill for them to have, I just don't want to be the one to teach them. Or know when they are doing it.

maggie said...

There is much to be said for a shower after not being allowed to have one.

At least you got snow to enjoy. We just got the promise that I slept through and that didn't stick - except for what stuck between me and my damn yurt (hours later, still bitter).

I wanted to sleep in a yurt,
I didn't want to sleep in the dirt,
I prepared and wore my warmest shirt,
But still I'm not in my f-bomb-ing yurt.
Do I sound hurt?
For the love of lipsticks, just let me sleep in my damn yurt.

You wanted Dr. Suess, but it's been awhile since my last Green Eggs, and I have no talent, so that's about as close as I can get on such short notice.

Anonymous said...

Tasina - Thank you for the kind words. Sorry I haven't read your blog in a while. I was thinking about you, wondering how your surgery went. Sounds like you are doing ok.

The wedding went great and Las Vegas was even better.

We need to do lunch sometime - take care!