Now I feel bad for making fun of this movie. I just watched it and really liked it. Whether or not you like Mel Gibson, this is a great film. Of course there is a ton of criticism about portraying the Mayans as "savage." Well they were kind of. As were the Romans, the Crusades, etc. I don't think Mel is trying to say that savageness is ALL the Mayans were about. It's a wonderful story - thrilling, beautifully filmed, engrossing, etc. I've also seen some criticism about the historical inaccuracies in the film. It's a good thing I don't get my history from films, huh? I didn't EXPECT it to be a documentary - it's a movie. If you want the "real" history go buy a book or something.
Had a really nice weekend with the folks. So good to get out of town and just relax for a few days.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
5.28.2007
Apocalypto
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment