I hate when I can't sleep. My husband just lays down, closes his eyes, and falls asleep. How does he do that? Unless I'm at the point of complete exhaustion, I toss and turn and fret and worry. I suppose I could take pills, but I hate to do that. I have to be bleeding out the eyes before I go to a doctor for pills. My mom swears by this OTC stuff called melatonin, but I've never tried it. I guess it's not a big deal to be up this late on a Saturday - but this happens on weekdays and that's really bad. I've been a bad sleeper ever since I was a baby. Anyway, I'm just rambling now - I'm really tired, maybe I should go read something boring or watch something dumb on TV. Anyone with any tips - let me know.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I soooooo sympathize. I am also one of those people who find it hard to shut off my brain at night. It usually comes in waves, where I get to sleep later and later over time, and, like you, I have to exhaust myself to finally nod off. Then, at other times I'll shock myself by getting to sleep at some semi-civilized hour, like midnight, with no clue why.
My husband used to be just like yours, but in the last couple of years he has developed this frustrating pattern where he can't keep his eyes open at 8:30 or 9, but then is wide awake from 2 till 4. (Last night, he woke up at 2 and never made it back to sleep at all.) His pattern is definitely tied to stress. He has to work on not letting the fact that he's not sleeping turn into another stress that keeps him from sleeping!! Humans are goofy.
I find that the best thing I can do is try to numb my brain (pills just plain don't work for me), watching or reading something that makes me not think about real life, and the conversations I could be running in my brain (that never actually happen), or the remodeling projects that I seem to design best in the middle of the night, or anything else it comes into my brain to fixate on. What works for Ked is taking a Benadryl, but that really dries out his throat and plays havoc with his singing voice, so he can't do that all the time. My friend Su swears by evening Yoga, and says the relaxation has really helped her overcome some very bad sleep patterns of her own. I know all three of us benefit in the sleep department when we are getting regular exercise. I think maybe the brain shuts off better when the body energy is thoroughly used up for the day.
I've heard that people need less and less sleep as they get older. I'm just having a hard time thinking of myself that way. Middle aged isn't older, exactly, is it? I'm sure none of this is remotely helpful. After all, if I had any answers I wouldn't be griping myself, would I? I hope it gives you some comfort, though, to know that you are not alone in the middle of the night. You have company, even if they are far away in a different time zone.
Post a Comment