"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

11.29.2006

Things I found

Here are a couple of interesting articles I read today.

Don't Sit Up Straight!
Drink More Red Wine


I guess I posted these backwards - it's a lot easier to function at a 135 degree angle AFTER you drink the wine! :)

Been on this British film kick. In the past week I've watched Pride & Prejudice (new version and BBC version), Persuasion, Sense & Sensibility, A Room With A View, Four Weddings & A Funeral, and Notting Hill. Obviously, I need to get out more. All really fine films. At the same time, I've been re-reading all my Michael Connelly books. There could be nothing more dissimilar than Michael Connelly and British film, but that's what's captured my attention the past few days. Connelly has a new book out and I wanted to catch up with the characters before I get the new one. (Hopefully for Christmas HINT HINT HINT!!!) For anyone who enjoys the mystery/suspense genre, there is hardly a better writer out there than Connelly. Engaging stories, interesting characters, well written prose - just really good books. Will they be adapted into Merchant/Ivory films starring the greats of British film? No. But enjoyable all the same.

Speaking of film, I just saw the new Superman movie - Superman Returns. The movie bombed with critics and I don't think did all that great at the box office. Personally, I kind of liked it. I do have one HUGE complaint about the movie which I had read about on other blog sites. At one point, one of the characters talks about "truth, justice, and all that stuff." Because God forbid that anyone in Hollywood promote anything about America. For someone who loves this country that phrase REALLY stood out as being offensive and quite childish in terms of how the entertainment industry behaves.

On a more ironic note, I've been reading that Angelina Jolie (who is rumored to be starring as Dagny Taggert in the film version of Atlas Shrugged) is playing Marianne Pearl in a movie called A Mighty Heart. Pearl is the widow of murdered journalist Daniel Pearl and the movie is based on her book about the whole incident. What I find so funny about this whole thing is that apparently some people are unhappy with the casting of Jolie in this role because she is white and Marianne Pearl is mixed race. Funny how you don't hear complaints like that when Denzel Washington is cast in The Pelican Brief in a role that was white in the book. Or Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank Redemption. Hypocrites. I do have to say though that apparently Sheri Belafonte said that she had no problem with Jolie in the role and wouldn't mind Jolie playing her in a movie about her life. So despite my problems with Harry Belafonte, I may be the newest fan of Sheri.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Well, the articles you linked were a great comfort to me, because I lay around at 135 degree angle just about every time I get out my laptop--which is a daily occurrence. I used to think it rather pathetic and slovenly, but now I know I'm just taking care of my back. I've also discovered, over the last five years, some red wines of which I am very fond, and can now say I'm drinking them for my health. You've made my personal indulgences seem virtuous!! Thanks.

My husband and I have been on a BBC kick ourselves. I picked up (for a song) a box set of all the BBC Jane Austin productions, and Ked and I spent a couple weeks watching them all, one right after the other. Then, of course, we had to watch the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice again, just to enjoy comparing and contrasting with the BBC mini-series from the 80s--they both have their strong points, if you ask me. P&P is our standard "comfort entertainment," whenever one of us is sick, or it's been raining forever, or we just want a cozy day together, we haul it out again. Had it on video, but it started to wear out, so we bought the DVD set. We'll probably wear that out, too, if that's possible.

I'm not familiar with Connelly (I'll have to check him out), but have you ever read any of the Amelia Peabody series, by Elizabeth Peters? If you haven't, and want a really fun read, you should give them a look. Here's the official synopsis of the first one:

Crocodile on the Sandbank

Published 1975

Set in 1884, this is the first installment in what has become a beloved bestselling series. At thirty-two, strong-willed Amelia Peabody, a self-proclaimed spinster, decides to use her ample inheritance to indulge her passion, Egyptology. On her way to Egypt, Amelia encounters a young woman named Evelyn Barton-Forbes. The two become fast friends and travel on together, encountering mysteries, missing mummies, and Radcliffe Emerson, a dashing and opinionated archaeologist who doesn't need a woman's help -- or so he thinks.

Tasina said...

Next time someone catches you reclining with a nice Merlot, you can say, "I'm not being lazy, I'm being proactive about my health." Isn't dark chocolate supposed to be good for you too? I wonder if this means I can skip exercising and just lie on the couch with a box of Godivas and a glass of wine? Perhaps reading the latest Elizabeth Peters book? Even if that's not physically good for me, it sure sounds like all the mental therapy I need!