Normally hate shopping, but hit a FANTASTIC sale at JCP. Also tried on a pair of pants in my normal size and found that it was too big and had to go find a smaller size!!! Woohoo!!! (Naturally celebrated with a brownie when I got home!!).
Am reading "Seabiscuit" by Laura Hillenbrand. Fascinating story. She is also a very gifted writer. She had a line in there I thought was so descriptive and interesting: "He had a colorless translucence about him that made him seem as if he were in the earliest stages of progressive invisibility." Wonderful! I love finding little nuggets like that. Stephen King has a line in his book "Bag of Bones" that I love as well. A character is watching a large man get into a small car and the first character thinks, "He was so big and the car was so small, it looked as if he were wearing it." Sometimes just falling into language can be as much of a pleasure as plot or character development. I have nothing but respect for people who can put words together in clever and descriptive ways. One of my all time favorite of these nuggets came from my mom - "Not everything in life has to be steeped in meaning and fraught with profundity." Not only a fabulous sentence, but a good life lesson as well. That's my momma!
Finally - I was off visiting my mom and dad yesterday so did no blogging. Here is a belated but heartfelt thank you to all of our veterans and all the military currently serving today.
"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple
11.12.2006
Shopping Spree
at
10:48 PM
Labels: Books, Just Me Ranting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Shucks, I was going to send for comment my all-time favorite action-description passage from The Caine Mutiny, but MY BOOK IS MISSING! When I get it back, I SHALL RETURN.
ummm....i might have that...i'll look around and let you know
Post a Comment