"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

4.08.2007

Uh-oh in the morning

Since it's a holiday I thought I'd blog about stupidity and hate. That's always fun.

Imus, Imus, Imus - what were you thinking man? I've never been a fan of his. I always found him a little bit boring and his over-the-topic antics just seemed like someone trying too hard. I'm sure anyone who is on the net at all has read about his remarks about the Rutgers women's BB team. I think what he said was really insulting and unbelievably idiotic. BUT....all of these calls to fire him and "punish" him I think are kind of silly. The same goes for Mel Gibson, Michael Richards, and the Dixie Chicks (I just have to interject here to say that I once saw this very funny comedian who said that he was going to start an all-boy country group and call them the Chixie Dicks - ahahahhaha). Anyway, all of these activists and groups need to quit demanding that something "be done" about people who make remarks they don't like. The interesting thing to me is that with the Dixie Chicks it WAS done. The constituency that didn't like what they said quit buying the records, quit buying the tickets, and made it very clear to the radio stations that they didn't want to hear them on the air or they would quit listening (of course the twits in the entertainment industry had to do a pitiful retaliation by giving them a ton of Grammys - that no one cares about anyway). That's what should be done with Imus. Don't buy the products from advertisers on his show - or anything from the stations involved. Once it hits the pocketbook, someone will do something. It's funny to me that when the Dixie Chicks were boycotted the entire left screeched about the Dixie Chicks' free speech being violated. It WAS NOT. They were perfectly free to say whatever they wanted and the consumers were perfectly free to respond in a manner that they felt was appropriate. NBC shouldn't have to fire Imus for what he said (the certainly CAN if they want to, but they aren't REQUIRED to). If the public is upset enough about it they will let NBC know and they will act accordingly - just like with the Dixie Chicks. I wonder if the left will screech about Imus' rights being violated then? I doubt it - only the left gets to say any nasty thing it wants to without repercussions. Did anyone freak out when Harry Belafonte called the African-Americans in Bush's cabinet Uncle Toms? Did Al Sharpton call for him to be punished and threaten to picket until something was done? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. That's another topic though. It's just such a crybaby attitude - "oh please go do something about this big bully that called us names." YOU go do something. Why do I even have to say this? Didn't we first learn this lesson with the Montgomery bus boycotts? Instead of whining to the government to save you from the big meanies, be proactive, be a smart consumer, let the market take care of the problem.

'Nuff of that. The holiday was great for us. It's so nice to be at my mom and dad's place. We all had a great time and ate a ton of good food. Noah got to have his second birthday celebration. He got cowboy boots, a hat, cap guns (liberal freak out alert), and a badge. I'll post a picture as soon as I get them off my camera. Hope everyone else reading this had a happy weekend.

4 comments:

Kat said...

I have a very short response to this post and the opinions therein: Amen.

As far as the holiday weekend, ours was wonderful, too. Lots of good company and good food. Ours also included lots and lots of singing, both at church and celebrating with friends. We got to hang with some excellent musicians at our friend Su's house after church: Su on piano, Ked on percussion and another friend playing a stellar violin. It was great. Anything we started to sing, he just picked up the thread and went to town. Violin played badly can be torture, but boy, when it's played well, it's heaven. We all made music to our hearts' content. Glad your weekend was as nice, and Happy Birthday to your "big 4 kid."

Tasina said...

I heard you were into music. My oldest plays guitar. He is very talented. I'm not the biggest fan of the music he plays (electric guitar, big amp, 16 year old boy - take a wild guess), but I do like to listen to him play. I played violin (fairly) as a kid and have had 8 years of piano (which has, at the very least, made me an amazing typist!). I love music - almost all kinds. It sounds like your holiday was very nice.

Kat said...

There's a very good rant on this topic over at IMAO that compares the aftermath of the Imus stupidity and that of the Duke Lacrosse debacle. A very good rant indeed.

http://www.imao.us/archives/007642.html

Kat said...

Hey, didn't you promise us pictures? :-)