"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

2.25.2007

Hello to Hollywood

It's Oscar night. Here are my picks for the major categories. (Because I don't really give a hoot about sound editing and it just makes the show way longer than it needs to be.)
Keep in mind that these are not the ones *I* want to win - these are the ones I think are going to win.

Best Picture - Babel
Best Director - Martin Scorsese (or however it's spelled) for The Departed
Best Actor - Forest Whitaker for The Last Kind of Scotland
Best Actress - Helen Mirren for The Queen
Best Supporting Actor - Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls
Best Supporting Actress - Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls
Best Animated Feature - Cars
Screenplay (Adapted) - Borat
Scrrenplay (Original) - Babel

I could be wrong.

Here's another recipe for a snowy winter day.

Chicken Alfredo With Broccoli

I'm going to do this in sections like I cook it.

3 tbsp olive oil - or whatever - drizzle it around the pan - however much that is.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cubed
3 cloves garlic - minced
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 tbs italian seasoning

Heat oil in a medium skillet.
Salt and pepper chicken to taste and brown thoroughly.
Add garlic.
Use wine to deglaze pan.
Add italian seasoning to taste.
Remove from heat and place in large bowl - be sure to get all juices.

1 bag frozen broccoli florets OR
1/2 lb fresh broccoli

Cook broccoli to desired tenderness in microwave or on stove top. I do about 3 minutes, then stir, then three more minutes in the microwave with a splash of water. Add broccoli to bowl with chicken.

***GLUTEN ALERT***

Start a large pot of water boiling for pasta and cook according to package directions.

Magical Alfredo Sauce

1 stick butter
1 pint whipping cream
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup Romano cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
***note*** You will have to adjust the cheese to your taste and texture preferences. I like my Alfredo sauce to be creamy with just a hint of grainy/gritty cheese.

Melt butter in a large, heavy sauce pan over medium heat.
Add cream and allow to heat fully.
Add cheeses A LITTLE AT A TIME, whisking until incorporated fully.
Remove from heat when all chese is melted.

If you add the cheese too fast it will make a big lump at the bottom of the pot with cream on top. You do not want this.

Drain pasta and combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Garnish with your favorite cheese and serve.

One note of warning - this is a delicious recipe, but it does not reheat very well. The butter in the sauce tends to separate if you re-heat in the microwave. A better idea might be to keep the sauce separate and re-heat on the stove for leftovers. Like the strata recipe from a few posts ago, this is very versatile. The magic really is in the Alfredo sauce. You could substitute shrimp for the chicken and really any vegetable for the broccoli. I got the basics of this recipe from my cousin, but I really think adding white wine to whatever meat you use really makes a difference. I experimented with adding the wine to the sauce, but wound up with a big glop of cheese underneath the cream. I think the wine works better with the meat and it does help deglaze the pan nicely. Experiment with the sauce and fine-tune it to your tastes. I know there's A TON of fat in there with the butter and the cream - but what the heck - it's dinner one night - it won't kill you. And if it does, at least you'll die really really well fed!!!

If anyone makes any of my recipes, please tell me how it turned out and what you added/changed to make it even better or to suit your personal tastes.

My hubby and little boy made this snowman yesterday. Too cute.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Thanks for the gluten alert. :-) Looks like I'll be trying another one of your recipes. Ked and I throw together something similar without the mozzarella, and with half-and-half instead of the whipping cream. (Yours looks decadent.) We often sautee mushrooms, peppers and onions to throw on top of the pasta, and find that grilling the chicken breasts on the BBQ before cubing them adds a nice flavor. I'd like to try it with the white wine, though, since it looks like you make the most of the drippings, and wine does add a lovely flavor to just about everything. Good tip about the reheating. I've often noted the same about the sauce separating, but have been too dense (or lazy) to come up with that solution. Duh.

BTW: Congratulations on your video game success. I hope the royalty checks are pouring in. :-)

Tasina said...

We've thought of grilling the chicken too, but it's hard to pass up what you get when you deglaze that pan with wine. Yummy. Now I'm hungry - again!

Kat said...

Try the chicken grilled sometime, but marinate it in garlic and olive oil first. Yum. (Although, throwing a little wine in too could only improve it.)