"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

5.25.2008

***WARNING - WARNING - WARNING***

DO NOT SCROLL DOWN














IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH














GRAPHIC PICTURES TO FOLLOW














Ok, your fault. I warned you.

Exactly 6 months ago tomorrow, I took my little tumble down the stairs. That was a lot of fun. I wound up tearing my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) completely in half as well as damaging some cartilage (meniscus). I do not recommend this. About a month after the fall, I had reconstructive surgery on my knee. The surgeon harvested from my hamstring and created a new ACL for me. This sounds super gross, but the other alternative is to harvest from a cadaver. Yup. CADAVER. NOOOOOOOO thank you. No cadaver parts for me. Uh huh. No way.

So anyway, my orthopedic surgeon - who was cool as all hell and cute as all hell for that matter - took some pictures from the inside of my knee. I don't know if he just really likes to give you all the information, really likes his job, really likes photography, or is really completely insane. In any event, while I did consider using the following pictures as our Christmas cards for the year, I managed to restrain myself. Honestly the pictures don't look like much of anything if you didn't know what they were. I think they kind of look like something you'd see at the bottom of the ocean. So if you've stayed with me thus far, here you go. The first is the torn ACL, the second is the torn meniscus, and the third is the graft. No fair giving me comments about how you had an involuntary personal protein spill after viewing these - you were warned. :)



4 comments:

The Mom Jen said...

Very cool.

Hope it has helped!!

Kat said...

Those are totally cool! Thanks for sharing.

Scary thing is, I actually mean that. :-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!
Personally I love watching surgery on TV..pics did not gross me out at all!

What an interesting technique!

Momisodes said...

You know I'm fascinated by this stuff. I had to scroll down first to see all the pics before reading :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury! I can't imagine how painful that was.

Cadaver parts? Yup, I'd pass too.