"...there is nothing more destructive of the human psyche than to be forced to doubt the veracity of what one's own elementary observations demonstrate, simply because they conflict with a prevailing and unassailable orthodoxy." Dr. Theodore Dalrymple

5.22.2008

Call the fashion police

I have recovered from my TT burnout and am back with the all humiliation list. Here are 13 life and fashion "Dos and Don'ts" from my life in the 70's and 80's. Feel free to actually LOL. (But hey...in my defense...it was the 70's and 80's!)

  1. Don't let anyone take nudie shots. They'll wind up on the internet forever.
  2. Do be a natural redhead for at least a couple of years. I'd love to have this color back. *note to self - call salon tomorrow*
  3. Don't ever mix brown and purple. I look like a small gay boy....not that there's anything wrong with that.
  4. Don't bite your nails. Someday you'll be 35 years old and still putting that bitter tasting stuff on your nails to break this habit.
  5. Do be a wild girl. I look like a feral child raised by wolves. And who lets a little kid stand next to a dog this big??
  6. Do fear the Claus. The whole thing still kind of freaks me out. And also DON'T wear a jumper or overalls. Ever.
  7. Don't dress like a freaky fundamentalist child bride. I have no explanation for this outfit. I hope I was in a school play or it was some sort of weird history day at school.
  8. Do be a cowgirl. It's South Dakota. They make you ride horses. Although I don't think Polo shirts and silly haircuts are part of that package.
  9. Don't be a cheerleader...except in an ironic way. Oh my good grief. Rah rah rah. This might be the worst of the lot. That's me (the world's most cynical, least peppy, had not a whit of school spirit cheerleader ever) in the center.
  10. Do get tatted up. My first ink.
  11. Don't be a horrible judge of character. The worst thing about this picture is not the stupid jeans with the deliberate rip. It's not the unbelievably unflattering tied shirt. It's also not the absolutly insane looking bangs. It's the fact that the guy with his arm around me is now incarcerated for a very bad thing. *shudder*
  12. Do embrace your silly decade. Where to begin? The Cosby sweater....the acid washed jeans....the 'extra from a bad Poison video' messy giant hair....the studied look of teenaged boredom....what a goofball! But enough of that guy on the left - I look great! ;)
  13. Don't forget which day is picture day....and retakes day. My giant hair cannot even be contained in the outline of the shot. That's too funny. I think the Aqua-Net company ought to be paying me a dividend for keeping them in business.
  14. Bonus #14 - Do have the ability to look back and laugh. Okay a new decade didn't help me at all. I love big hair. End of story.



The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was such a Fun TT. I have similiar pictures I could post for a do's and don't
I loved big hair. They used to call me Mar with the Hair.
So fun
Thanks, Maribeth
www.marnini.worpdress.com

K. said...

LOVE it. All of them. Especially the one with you as a cheerleader - you seriously do look like you're thinking "How did this happen and how do I get out of here?" And you, my dear, had FABULOUS big hair. I would have been SO jealous. I still kinda am. :P

Anonymous said...

Way very much fun, and I wish I couldn't relate. But I can. And I also brought my 80's hair well into the 90's. It took and intervention. Thank goodness for friends who know it's wrong and will help.

Pretty Life Online said...

Great shots....nice catch for TT! Hope you'll visit my TT post too.

anthonynorth said...

Autobiography through pictures.
Good idea. Good pics.

Hootin Anni said...

3 and 6 are precious!
Love the tattoo on your shoulder too, I have one on my ankle.


Mine's shared...C U THERE!!

My Busy Life said...

My kids have been raised with Dobes since the day they were born. The big hair days, oh how fun! You might enjoy my TT, a blast from the past (1988), take a look and enjoy. Great list you have.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear lord..I need to do some digging for pics at mom and dads.. And that yellow outfit. I had the skirt..I have a feeling that MAYBE you had a cute outfit..but it was cold so you didn't want to wear a coat so you just wore a turtle neck..I don't know I was just trying to help you out.. LOL!!

Kat said...

You are totally hair-blessed. I SO wish I could still have big hair. I used to have wonderfully big hair. I'd happily settle for just plain curly these days, but in its natural state my hair bears a frustrating resemblance to Mr. Spock's oh-so-boring silky-skull-cap look--and the queen of allergies can't get a perm. Wah! I'm jealous of your curls.

Oh, here's your unsolicited advice of the day: I used to bite the nails, too, but I discovered that if I file off the rough edges then I'm not nearly so tempted. This little tip could revolutionize your life. Or not. :-)

Laura Paxton said...

LOVE the big hair! (you oughta see MINE, right NOW...)

South Dakota Mom said...

OMG I am losing it!!! I love the Santa pic. You will be pleased to know that we all sat here and went through these. As we scrolled down things got funnier and funnier. Your hair didn't fit the frame, LOL!

Momisodes said...

This HAS to be the best TT ever! And yes, I adore your big hair. I may have depleted half the ozone layer myself with the amount of Aqua Net I used in the 80's ;)

ROFL at the Santa pic. Seriously, I nearly fell out of my chair :)

lynda w said...

Ha! Love the "banana butt" in number 1.

I still battle with the bitter tasting nail stuff.

I absolutely have no room to talk about the dress. There is a picture of my at my mom's house wearing a hoop skirt. It's awful.

The big hair and "housed" jeans were such a big part of the 80's and early 90's, but seriously - you know whoever started those styles was sitting off to the side somewhere laughing their a$$es off just like in the movie "Can't Buy Me Love."

Great TT! You always make me laugh!

Tara R. said...

Awesome pix... you are much braver than I am, I think school photos are one reason I HATE getting my picture taken so much now.

Malcolm said...

I really enjoyed this pictorial trip through your life. Your caption for #12 was hilarious. As for pic #1, if anybody asks, just say you were young and needed the work.

Konstantin said...

O. M. G. this was the greatest thing i read in several weeks! thank you, tasina! :)

Donna said...

This has got to be one of my all-time favorite Thirteens! I, who also happened to be in Texas (AKA land of the big hair that never went away) in the 80s and 90s, was the queen of the big hair and wings... remember spraying the ever-loving crap out of the hair just at your temple to get it to stand out?

Anyway, Love this!!